Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Report Control
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virtual mode + Grouping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nbelyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virtual mode + Grouping
    Posted: 17 October 2006 at 12:42pm
Does report control support grouping in virtual mode?
How do I initialize control for this mode?

Motivation why we need that:
Values for "group-by" column are obtained very quickly. Values for other columns are obtained slowly.

Regards, Nikolay.
sserge View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sserge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2006 at 2:43am
Hi,

No, Virutal Mode cannot be used with row grouping or tree designs.

--
WBR,
Serge
JohnCrenshaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCrenshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 4:26pm

I came to this forum looking for an answer to the same question. It is rare for an issue to have multiple posts in these forums (more often than not there are no posts for what I am looking for) but this issue has several.

I guess that this is my bid for virtual mode in a tree.

At least it could be implemented as a semi virtual mode, where the rows that have been requested are kept around (since presumably you have to remember expanded states etc.)

I think this could be done in a few steps:
1. do the virtual mode as normal
2. When the virtual item gives the info on items in the tree it indicates whether or not the item has children
3. When the item is expanded a virtual record for the list of children is requested.
4. once an item has been read in, it never leaves memory until the node is collapsed or the control is destroyed. (enabling the expanded/collapsed state to be maintained.)

Are there any inherent problems with this design?

This is not a VITAL feature, but it is close. Most of the stuff in our database ought to be showed in a tree in many situations. I suspect that this is not an unusual need.
mrichards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrichards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2006 at 10:52am
I would like to add my voice to this as well. If the report control could support grouping in virtual mode, it would be incredibly useful to us.

Please, please find a way to accomplish this goal. If it's absolutely not possible, then I would really like to know why.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCrenshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2007 at 12:13pm
The more I use this control, the more important this is becomming. So far there has been silence on the question of adding support for this so all I can figure is that there has been no decision.

In just 2 threads related to this topic there are 350+ views to date. This is a big deal for a lot of people. Since this is important to me as well, I'd like to see it get solved. I suspect that somewhere over there there are some big questions that you havn't found solutions to.

Here is the $64 question: Can you open these problems up for discussion? Enough people are looking at this that if you started a thread listing the problems and asking for suggestions you should get more than enough viable answers, and if not, at least we would all know why this can't be implemented.

jkaufmann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkaufmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2007 at 7:50pm
Same here, I would want the same... and I am probably going to override and/or hack CXTPReportControl to do it if there is no solution in the near future.  The only problem I can think of is predicting the size of the scrollbars.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCrenshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2007 at 7:27pm

Any chance of you sharing that hack if/when you do it?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic