Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Docking Pane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deployment files for the DockingPane ocx

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farhanzia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deployment files for the DockingPane ocx
    Posted: 15 January 2004 at 6:36am

Hello, can somebody please confirm the list of files needed for the deployment of DockingPane ocx control.

1. DockingPane.ocx
2. DockingPane.lic

Are there any other files as well?

Boyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2004 at 2:30pm
You should only deploy the OCX file.  The LIC file is used in the development environment only.
farhanzia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farhanzia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2004 at 12:30am

I have a piece of code in my software where I have created an object of Docking Pane. I used the following code to do so...

Dim objDockingControl As Object
Set objDockingControl = CreateObject("DOCKINGPANE.DockingPaneCtrl.1")

This code is only getting successfull if the "DockingPane.lic" file was present at the time when the "DockingPane.ocx" was getting registered. Otherwise, I get an "ActiveX component can't create object" error.

Any help in this regards?

Boyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2004 at 8:23am

Is there a particular reason you're using the object this way?  Just drop the object on your form and that's all you need to do.  Take a look at some of the sample projects using the DockingPane.

farhanzia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farhanzia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2004 at 11:36pm

Yes there is a particular reason for this. I am releasing this version of my software (in which I have used Xtreme Pane) as a web update. So, it won't be available to my users as a setup program. I have to ship the "DockingPane.ocx" file through web update along with my exe. So, I gotta check through code that if the ocx file is registered at the user's machine and if not, they should download the update. After which I register it through my exe code at startup. Now if I try registering it without the "DockingPane.lic" file, it throws me an error that ActiveX component can't create object. 

Please comment if I am doing something wrong and if the lic file can be eliminated somehow. And if it is needed, then these 2 are the only files I need to distribute.

Thanks, Farhan 

Boyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2004 at 8:18am

Thanks for the added explanation.  I've never worked on deploying an application this way, but I don't understand why you would need the LIC file.  My understanding is that the LIC file allows you to work with the control in a development environment, so I don't see why you would need to deploy it.  I would contact Codejock support.

Sorry I couldn't be of better assistance.

farhanzia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farhanzia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2004 at 10:15am
I have posted this question since so long but never get a reply... I have a build release soon and I am remaining with no other options except to ship the license file (dockingpane.lic) :(
Boyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2004 at 10:29am
What did Codejock Support say when you contacted them?
Geoffrey2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoffrey2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2004 at 8:24pm

This is just a guess but I'll bet it has to do with early binding vs late binding. When you drop the ocx on your form and compile you're early binding and it probably brings in the lic file. When you do the createobject("") you are late binding at runtime and the lic file is needed when the object is created. You can try to early bind it by browsing for the ocx in the references and then doing a set xx = new blabla. That might not be what you want though because you can't dynamically copy in a new ocx file during runtime because it's "bound" to the app. G

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic