Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tutorial?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tutorial?
    Posted: 03 January 2004 at 3:51am

I just purshased the Command Bars activex control based upon the impressive sample projects.  Assuming it would work much like any other activex control I didn't really scrutinize the implementation.  Now that I have the product I find nothing that even remotely would serve as a brief "how-to" for implementation.  Yes there are six sample projects only one with a "xcb" file included.  One of the features I am most interested in is adding XP style tabs to my program, something demonstrated in the "MDI Sample" project, but there isn't a word on how to do in the source code.

I am very impressed by the look of the Command Bar control but I am about ready to write it off unless I can figure it out quickly.  I've poked around and understand the "designer", but without any explanation of what is necessary to achieve a basic menu I find this software very frustrating.  It seems to cater much more to the C++ crowd, which is great, but no help to me.

Can anybody offer a suggestion as to how to get up and running with the ActiveX version of Command Bar?

vbuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2004 at 1:23am

ANYBODY THERE?

I just purchased it and I eel exacly the same way.... I thought once I purchased the tools I would see more information or tutorial about how to go about things, but I guess I was wrong...

I have also noticed that there is very little activity on this forum from the admins... That is also bad news... Too bad... This is an impressive product, but at this point it is useless to me and I comtemplating returning it for a FULL REFUND...

MrHelmet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrHelmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2004 at 6:03pm

I have to agree with you that the documentation for the ActiveX controls are a litte to simple. All you really get is what you would already find in the Object Browser. As these controls cost a fair amount of money we should be able to expect better documentation.

I am currently testing the evaluation of the controls and I think that the controls are pretty easy to use and understand. But this might be due to the 10 years of experience I have with Visual Basic.

Now to the question. The tabs are easily enabled by the following code:

First add a CommandBar control to the MDI form (call it cmbTools) and then write the following code in the Show event of the form:

cmbTools.ShowTabWorkspace True

That is really it. Now the workspace of the MDI form is tabbed, and a tab is added each time a child form is added to the MDI form.

As far as I can see from the docs there aren't any tabstribs in the CommandBar object so this will only work with MDI forms.

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Kim Pedersen, vbCode Magician
http://www.vbcodemagician.dk

SuperMario View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2004 at 3:14pm
Codejock has released some preliminary documentation for Xtreme Suite v8.70 for ActiveX. The documentation contains several tutorials to help create the sample projects.  

The documentation can be found at this link:
http://www.codejock.com/downloads/

You can reply to this post with suggestions and comments or send an email to support.activex@codejock.com

We are looking forward to your feedback
rdtcgriffin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtcgriffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2004 at 12:40am

The samples in the page you gave are all EXE. Don't you have VB code for those?

On the VB Code samples that are included on the installation, do you think it is possible to have comments on them? Will be great to help speed up learning how to use your control. To be honest, I find the lack of comments/documentation within the sample codes frustrating.

I was able to understand the creation of the menu quite easily. But the toolbar is a different story. Do you have a step by step process on creating the toolbar? With XCB creation and all? I am trying the CommandBarsDesigner.exeto create the XCB but I find it difficult to use (especially with the lack of Help file/tutorial). In fact, I found out about the designer by lookign at the installed files and not from the Help/Documentation.

I think you have a good product. Just that the lack of documentation is making it frustrating to learn and use.

Edited by rdtcgriffin
SuperMario View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2004 at 6:06am
The code is included, not just the exe.  You need to look at the folder the software was installed to see the .vbp files.  
rdtcgriffin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtcgriffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2004 at 8:20pm

There are codes and VB files when you install the component. But what I meant was the files included in XTPEvaluation.zip. There are no VB files there. Just exe.

bajul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2004 at 10:36pm
I think you guys need to include example in every method. The document without example still make no sense to us.
pitronot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitronot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 6:57am
or maybe a pdf reference book for every method and param

i see alot of methods with incoming parameters which are variant.
i dont know what they are looking for, this is due to no casting in vb. I am aware of that, but how am i supposed to know what to try if i dont have a reference book.

appreciated.

[edit] I pressed F1 on a function and found your excellent windows-help-file, I take it back. you rock.

now if support would only answer my questions.

Mickey Perlstein
Development Manager
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic