Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unicode & VB6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unicode & VB6
    Posted: 11 October 2005 at 8:53am

Our application is about to be converted into Polish so we have converted to using the unicode versions of the codejock controls and the Translation dlls. All very straight forward and trouble free.

Since the intrinsic VB controls can't display unicode data, does anyone have any other options for potential replacements:

Preferrably very cheap/free :

vb1to6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vb1to6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2005 at 4:17pm

The winless controls that shipped on the VB 5 CD and I think the VB 6 CD (in the unsupported section of tools) are unicode. They do not hwnd properties but work fine.

gshawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2005 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by ianp ianp wrote:

Well the MS Forms 2.0 controls can't be redistributed (they're part of Office), so that kind of makes them hard to use. But I'm curious, what did you think of the UniToolbox and the UnicodeControls? I took a look at UniToolbox a couple years back and it looked overpriced for what it was, while UnicodeControls just looked... messy. What did you think of their current offerings?

ianp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2005 at 3:53am
Originally posted by vb1to6 vb1to6 wrote:

The winless controls that shipped on the VB 5 CD and I think the VB 6 CD (in the unsupported section of tools) are unicode. They do not hwnd properties but work fine.

I did look at the Windowless Controls, but the combo box has a different look/feel for the end user and I was not 100% successful in getting them to handle unicode text. I think I was having problems cutting and pasting into the textbox!?!

ianp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2005 at 4:16am
Originally posted by gshawn gshawn wrote:

Well the MS Forms 2.0 controls can't be redistributed (they're part of Office), so that kind of makes them hard to use. But I'm curious, what did you think of the UniToolbox and the UnicodeControls? I took a look at UniToolbox a couple years back and it looked overpriced for what it was, while UnicodeControls just looked... messy. What did you think of their current offerings?

MS Forms 2.0 controls were a no go. Despite the fact that all our end users have Office installed and consequently the FM20.dll. They are unsupported, officially untested outside of VBA apps and potentially a dead technology. Curiously, Microsoft do provide a method of distributing the controls - install Microsoft ActiveX Control Pad which contains the DLL! http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=224305

The UnicodeControls website didn't inspire confidence for a mission critical set of controls. Additionally I couldn't find any reviews or third party commentary on them, so they were ruled out.

We finally went with UniToolbox. Yes they are vastly overpriced. We had a deadline to meet and without an alternative, the company was prepared to stump up the money. They have proved very stable and worked exactly as expected as "'drop-in' replacements for the VB intrinsic controls". Furthermore, the entire app was converted/upgraded within hours with the assistance of their wizard.

mlatona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlatona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2006 at 6:42am

I have test the control suites. But all control suites don`t works with the skin framework. I think, many VB developer need unicode controls.

Is it possible, that Codejock create new controls with unicode support and skin framework support? For example (Button, Textbox, Label, Checkbox, Optionbutton...).

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic