Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Toolkit Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Version 18.0.1 Deploy Wizard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Version 18.0.1 Deploy Wizard
    Posted: 14 August 2017 at 3:23pm
When I download the 18.0.1 version, I get to the point where the Deploy Wizard is going to be started, then I get the message "Error locating installation project files, aborting".

I am using Visual C++ 6.0 with the latest updates. Is Visual C++ 6.0 still supported?

This is a lot like the same misery I had with the 17.0 release!
Marco1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 3:56am
Seriously, Visual C++ 6.0?
I mean, this is nearly 20 years old (lastest updates like 15 years old?) ...
IMHO it's more than normal if this is a little unsupported by now, like W2K.
Just a thought. Wink

olebed View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olebed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 6:45am
Hi,

We have some problems with VS2010 and 2013,  but VC6 is supported always. Basically all project files are in vc6 format and converted to new version only on deploying.

Kenneth, what version of Windows do you use ?

Regards,
 Oleksandr Lebed
olebed View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olebed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 7:02am
Kenneth, you can check  keys in windows register in path

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\
Software\Codejock Software\{product name}

{product name} can be "ToolkitPro", "Calendar", "ChartPro" ....
Also HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE can be used  instead of HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

There are should be defined  key 
"Installation Directory" with correct path  and "License" with correct license.

May be you run installation or deployment without admin permissions?
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 11:06am
Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Codejock Software\ there are:

Installation
License

There is no product name entry. I am running with admin rights.

I am running Windows 10.

Here is the sequence, I start the codejock.toolkitpro.mfc.18.0.1.exe and it asks for the license key which I enter. It then unpacks to the directory I enter, It then displays the message "Error locating installation project files, aborting".

I check the directory where the files were placed and the deploy wizard is there along with all the other files.

So what is it looking for?
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 12:02pm
Here is an image of the directory where the 18.0.1 files were placed:

Can you please tell me what the deploy wizard is expecting as input?
olebed View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olebed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 9:11am
I could reproduce this error. I have chosen "Compact Installation" or custom installation without vc6 project files on ToolkitPro installation. 

Deploy should compile these project files.

about  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Codejock Software\
{product name}

{product name} in your case should be "Xtreme ToolkitPro v18.0.1".
Also in 
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Codejock Software\   can contains folders from previous versions  like "Xtreme ToolkitPro v17.3.0" or "Xtreme SuitePro ActiveX v17.3.0"

Also "
Codejock Software" should have "Recent Installation" and "Recent Version" keys.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Codejock Software\Xtreme ToolkitPro v18.0.1     should have key "Installation Directory" with correct path  and "License" with correct license.

DeployWizard  can't start deploying without these registry keys.
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 4:54pm
This does not make any sense. I downloaded the Codejock program "Codejock.ToolkitPro.MFC.18.0.1" and entered the key as requested. As the name reflects, I want ToolkitPro, MFC version 18.0.1, which is all you need to know. Your wizard unpacks and installs all the required files including the Deploy Wizard.

But I will play your games! I created a new key with the name of "Xtreme ToolkitPro v18.0.1" per your example, but what do I place in the data field?

Where do I enter the "Compact Installation" or "custom installation without vc6 project files" on ToolkitPro installation. I don't see either?

olebed View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olebed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 2:34am
Have you installed MS Visual Studio 6.0 before ToolkitPro installation ?

olebed View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olebed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 2:36am
After installation you can find  vc6 project files.

Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 11:19am
The problem I have is I had to do a clean install of Windows 10. That wipes out everything in the OS, and does a clean OS install. So its stupid to have the Deploy Wizard to be asking for old data when it already has all the data it needs.

So lets go back to the start. What is the bare essentials I need to get the 1801 release to compile. Please give me images I need to hand build the required to get the Deploy Wizard to start.

If not, I will just cancel my subscription to CodeJock.
olebed View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olebed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 12:16pm
look at red rectangles on screenshot. Do you have the same options in Install wizard ?  Have you installed VS 6.0 ?

Originally posted by olebed olebed wrote:

Have you installed MS Visual Studio 6.0 before ToolkitPro installation ?

UPD:  you can download this big  image or just zoom web page to see text.  Screenshots have next order 

1 2 3
4 5 6 
7 8 9
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 12:23pm
I went to an old computer where I had compiled 17.1.0 and it had:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Codejock Software\Xtreme ToolkitPro v17.1.0
and to the right of it was:

(Defaut)
Installation Directory
License

So the Deploy Wizard is looking for something else it is not finding or it displays the message "Error locating installation project files, aborting.

olebed View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olebed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 12:27pm
Does your Win10 computer have installed Visual Studio 6.0 ?
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 9:45pm
Yes it does.
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 10:09pm
One more thought, everything worked perfectly until release 1730. That's when all the trouble with the Deploy Wizard started. If I remember correctly they messed around with it and finally got working. The same thing is going on with this release.

olebed View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olebed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2017 at 2:49am
Originally posted by Kenneth Kenneth wrote:

Yes it does.

ok,  Have you checked on installation vc6 projects ?  (Full or custom installation on "Select components" step)

Visual Studio Projects
  > Visual Studio 6.0 Projects    ---- should be checked. 

If this item unchecked then  project files won't be copied to disk  and Deploy Wizard won't do anything. Wizard just compiles these projects. You can compile they yourself with VS 6.0 or any other Visual Studio.
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2017 at 11:41am
Yes it was checked. Lets go back to the beginning, I logged onto the Codejock site, and downloaded the "Codejock.ToolkitPro.MFC.18.0.1.exe" module to my computer.

I ran that, entered the Product Serial Number then where I wanted to place the files on my computer. I then advanced to the "Select Components" panel where I checked the "Visual Studio Components" and selected the Optional Components which I only selected "Include Deprecated Classes". I then advanced to the "Ready to Install" panel where I selected the "Install" button. It then installed all the extracted files. Note that I later checked that all the files required to compile 18.0.1 were installed in the directory I specified.

It then started the "Completing the Xtreme ToolkitPro Setup Wizard". I unchecked the "Notify me of product news and Updates" and left checked the "Launch Deployment Wizard" then I pressed the "Finish" button.

The "Launch Deployment Wizard" started and then displayed the message "Error locating installation project files, aborting"

So what did I do wrong that resulted the Deployment wizard to abort?

Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2017 at 1:58pm

I may have a clue to what is going on. I went back on all the projects I have done and clicked on the Deploy Wizard on each project and in most cases the above would popup which indicates it is ready to compile the project. However on some, including the 18.0.1 project I am trying to get working now, I would get an error. Note that the image above states "You may run this program at any time by selecting "Launch Deploy Wizard" from the "Codejock Software" start menu group". Where is this on Windows 10?
olebed View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olebed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2017 at 3:27pm

.. Note that the image above states "You may run this program at any time by selecting "Launch Deploy Wizard" from the "Codejock Software" start menu group". Where is this on Windows 10?

Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2017 at 4:10pm
I found that, thanks. However I still can't find the reason I cannot get the 1801 version Deploy Wizard to start. I can start the Deploy Wizard for all the previous versions.

What does the Deploy Wizard need to start? All the 1801 files are in the same directory as the deploy wizard.
olebed View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olebed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2017 at 4:15pm
Deploy Wizard needs  project files  *_vc60.dsp and *_vc60.dsw. If they exist then you can build library and samples even by yourself. Many customers do this to include new fixes in source which posted on forum. Also DeployWizard checks keys in registry - license and path to installation folder.
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2017 at 4:32pm
It looks like we just don't understand each other, so I will wait until I can get hold of kstowell or someone else that knows.
olebed View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olebed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 11:33am
I want your confirmation for every step  to find out problem.
You haven't answer is project files exist (*_vc60.dsp and *_vc60.dsw for VS 6.0)

After installation you can find  vc6 project files.

Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 12:25pm
No, the *_vc60.dsp and *_vc60.dsw do not exist.
olebed View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olebed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 12:36pm
That is why Deploy Wizard can't start. Now We need to investigate why installer haven't copy project files. If you select  "Visual Studio 6.0 Projects" during installation then problem can be in Installer. However I have tried Installer on virtual Win10 without problems (except case when I don't check "VS 6.0 Projects"). Also I haven't seen any similar problems with DeployWizard in support or forum.
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 12:47pm

It looks more like it cannot detect the Microsoft Visual Studio.
olebed View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olebed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 12:56pm
Try to reinstall VS 6.0    description from Kirk Stowell
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 1:08pm
I have looked at that article, however I had done that. I also had it installed on Windows 10 and it worked for the 17.3.0 release. Kirk made changes on how he detected Visual Studio between release 17.3.0 and 18.0.1 and uses vswhere for Visual C++ detection. I looked at the vswhere documentation and it does not detect older versions.
olebed View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olebed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 1:20pm
Please try to uninstall all previous versions of ToolkitPro, manually remove Codejock from Visual Studio paths, and close all instances of VS, then reinstall v18.0.1.

Also you can try on pure Windows10 (maybe on virtual machine).
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 1:31pm
I have already tried all that, I even tried a Windows 7 machine running on Hyper-V. As I said, it looks like your logic it not detecting Microsoft Visual C++. I don't know why Kirk did not have an option to just tell the Deploy full path of Microsoft Visual C++. Any other ideas?
olebed View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olebed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2017 at 11:37am
DeployWizard needs  project files to start. It can't compile  cpp files without settings from project files. Problem in Installer, not in Deploy.
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2017 at 12:32pm
I believe those are generated in the "Deploy Wizard for Visual Studio" which something is keeping from running. I just believe its being kept from running because the Microsoft Visual C++ is not being detected.
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2017 at 1:13pm
Which brings up another question, do you have the Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 6.0 on Windows 10 to test with?
olebed View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olebed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2017 at 3:14pm

... However I have tried Installer on virtual Win10 without problems (except case when I don't check "VS 6.0 Projects")...
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2017 at 6:01pm
Yes, and that's why I said we were talking past each other. The key statement is "Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 6.0". Take note of the version 6.0. That version cannot be detected by vswhere! It is a very old version of Visual Studio C++. So if you don't have the Visual Studio c++ 6.0 version, you cannot duplicate my problem!

Prior to 17.3.0 Kirk was using something else that detected the old 6.0 version. Then when he went to 17.30 I was getting problems much like I am now. Finally he fixed that version so it started working again.

Now he using vswhere (which cannot detect very old versions of the Visual C++) and I am back to failing again.
olebed View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olebed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2017 at 8:58am
Kenneth, I have tried to install and deploy ToolkitPro in Win10 with VS 6.0 without problems.

I can reproduce your problem only when I uncheck "VS 6.0 Projects" on installation. In this case installer don't copies project files and deploy can't start.

Kirk have advised to uninstall all other versions of ToolkitPro and manually delete Codejock from Visual Studio paths, and close all instances of VS, then reinstall v18.0.1.
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2017 at 12:29pm
I just got through doing it and I still get the fail message. Is there anything I can check in my copy of Microsoft Visual Studio C++ to see if it is being detected by the 18.0.1 version?
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2017 at 2:23pm
I tried everything I can think of and nothing works.
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2017 at 10:29pm
If you are able to contact Kirk, ask him how he detects the Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 6.0 in Windows 10 so I can make sure what he expects is in mine. I know it worked when I compiled the 1730 project, but he could have changed something when he did the 1801 project.

That's the only thing that is different between my system and yours as it relates to compiling the Codejock projects.

You keep referring to the project files and in order to get them, you have to have found Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 so that seems to be the key!

SvenC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SvenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 3:22am

Here is an image of the directory where the 18.0.1 files were placed:

Can you please tell me what the deploy wizard is expecting as input?

Hi Kenneth,

did you double check that your changed codejock install path (from your earlier post) is reflected in the registry values?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Codejock Software\Xtreme ToolkitPro v18.0.1\Installation Directory

Did you change the default install directory of VS6 as well?

@Codejock: could it be a problem that Kenneth uses the last folder name "1801" instead of "Xtreme ToolkitPro v18.0.1"? 

Could that need a different registry key name for the deploy wizard as well?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Codejock Software\Xtreme ToolkitPro v18.0.1
vs
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Codejock Software\1801
--
SvenC

Toolkit Pro 15.3.1, 16.2.4, 16.3.1, 16.4.0, 17.2.0, 17.3.0, 18.0.1, 18.2 with VC++ 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2017
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 9:26am
I went back and used the full default installation path as above and it makes no difference.

It looks like no one has a clue on how the Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 is being detected, so we have to just wait on Kirk.
SvenC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SvenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 11:04am
In case it takes you too long to wait, you could try "Process Monitor" to track file system and registry access from the deploy wizard. That could give a clue what is searched where and not found: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon
--
SvenC

Toolkit Pro 15.3.1, 16.2.4, 16.3.1, 16.4.0, 17.2.0, 17.3.0, 18.0.1, 18.2 with VC++ 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2017
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 2:23pm

I tested taking defaults and it ran as before, aborting with the same message I always get. I then looked for the project files, and as you can see, they are not there. Why?

Yes, I did have the box checked to request "Visual Studio Projects" and Optional Components.
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2017 at 9:48am
I tried the 18.0.2 version, it ran the setup wizard successfully, then started the Deployment Wizard and it aborted with the message:

Error locating project files, aborting.

What is the wizard looking for? I thought IT just created the project files?
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2017 at 8:30am
Can I get the source to the Deploy Wizard or all the conditions that produces the message "Error locating project files, aborting." so I can find the problem myself?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic