Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Toolkit Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HTML tooltip never signals ready

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HTML tooltip never signals ready
    Posted: 01 October 2015 at 6:02pm
Running with 17 Beta2/3 I am having a problem with using HTML tooltips. I have subclassed CXTPToolTipContextToolTip to provide my own HTML tooltip. I did that a few years ago because the CJ class doesn't provide for navigating to real HTML files that contain rich content (videos, for example). This has been working until 17 came along. Now when running with 17 (beta 2 and 3) AND the Office2013 White theme, but not the 2007/2005 themes, I have been experiencing crashes and other issues.

I have posted before on the crash - the tip context simply calls "delete" on the tooltip while the tooltip is pumping messages while it waits for the call to Navigate to be signaled complete via the ready state message posted to the window. I have worked around the crash by detecting when my class gets destroyed and making a quick exit from all call frames without touching instance data. I also cancel the navigation that is pending. That fixes the crash.

However, I also have cases where I go into the loop after calling Navigate where I am pumping app messages and checking the ready state and I never exit that loop because getReadyState never returns a ready state. That is, the web browser doesn't seem to ever signal me. I have also seen and examined asserts in the XTP command bar code because the hWnd of a popup can become NULL (after clicking the big app button).

I couldn't duplicate these issues using our code when running with CJ V16. Even for the White theme. Finally I realized CJ posted something about addressing the resizing issue that occurs with thin borders. That led me to the Shadow code in CJ 17.

For some reason I have not determined, if I run with the shadow on and I resize the frame from the outside - using the shadow, the tooltips stop working and I can have issues with the popup bar tracking all of a sudden having a null hWnd. If I resize from "within" the app, no problem. And I can completely avoid all the issues I am having if I stop in debug when the call to get/create the shadow is made and I just skip the call.

I have spied on the browser control, the frame, the shadow ... and I don't see what is occurring that is causing this problem.

Can someone at CJ give me some pointers as to what this shadow and the hooking code might be doing that might cause these problems? I see very little change in the shadow source directory between beta 2 and beta 3 (the fix to not copy bits during the setwindowpos call did fix another issue I had with the entire app window "flashing dark" when sizing via the shadow). I did try enabling and disabling DWM but that has no affect either.
rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2015 at 4:11pm
I need to take back something I said.

When I mouse down on the shadow with beta 3, I still can see the shadow window flash over top of our application. If I set breaks in the shadow hooker, I can see paint messages that get processed for the layered shadow window and the entire shadow window displays over top of our application.
rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2015 at 5:44pm
uploads/3213/IMG_1413.zipHere's a video of the flashing. Not optimal as I had to use a phone to record as the desktop recordings don't record the flashing. Sorry for the orientation ...
Alopez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alopez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2015 at 3:45pm
We have submitted this issue to our tracking system we will be addressing this issue shortly
Anthony Lopez, Technical Support
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2015 at 5:55pm
Hopefully the tooltip lifetime issue and the problem with the readystate signal never making it to the browser control too.
rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2016 at 5:52pm
Still a problem in the released kit.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic