Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Suite Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who is using CodeJock ActiveX from .NET?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt.dillard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is using CodeJock ActiveX from .NET?
    Posted: 14 December 2010 at 6:03pm
We are considering porting (technically, converting) an application from VB6 to C#, and our application makes heavy use of many of CodeJock's ActiveX controls.

CodeJock's .NET offerings appear to have stagnated, so we are not interested in going down that path.

I see that there are samples written to demonstrate CodeJock ActiveX running under .NET, so I know there is some level of support for this.

Two questions:
  1. Is anyone mixing and matching CodeJock's ActiveX controls with their own .NET application?
  2. Anyone have a migration story worth sharing?
JantjeKeizer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JantjeKeizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2010 at 3:31am
I tried, but bumped into too many problems.
For a commercial app it isn't worth the hassle unfortunately :(
There's just too many quirks or things that don't work at all.
SuperMario View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2010 at 9:42am
Originally posted by matt.dillard matt.dillard wrote:

We are considering porting (technically, converting) an application from VB6 to C#, and our application makes heavy use of many of CodeJock's ActiveX controls.

CodeJock's .NET offerings appear to have stagnated, so we are not interested in going down that path.

I see that there are samples written to demonstrate CodeJock ActiveX running under .NET, so I know there is some level of support for this.

Two questions:
  1. Is anyone mixing and matching CodeJock's ActiveX controls with their own .NET application?

Our COM controls should work fine with C#.  Almost all the samples we have were first written in vb6, then ported to .NET.  It actually isn't too difficult, just time consuming.  It really depends on how familiar you are with C#.

Any conversions problems let us know and we will show you how to do it.
Boris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2011 at 12:10pm

The only issue I have had is upgrading the controls which can be frsutrating. However, the controls perform very well indeed. I also use controls from DevExpress and although these are .Net they are harder to use. The  CJ controls are a breeze.

Regards

Boris

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 16.4.0 16.3.1

Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 3

Language: Visual Basic 6.0 SP6

VS 2005-2008-2010-2013
markmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2011 at 12:29pm

If our apps in dotnet, vb or c# are using activeX components, do you think this will be Ok in future versions of windows? they say VB6 will not work after Window7 but what about activeX controls

Mark

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 13.0.0
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2
Language: Visual Basic 6.0
Boris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2011 at 12:55pm
I would imagine that those nice people at Codejock would stop development pretty sharpish if it were imminent. Does this help http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showthread.php?t=319446

I hate to take work away from CJ but if you feel safer going the .Net route for your controls you really should try Devexpress.com. CJ is far easier to use. With CJ you have a lot of control on the reportcontrol say. DX want to tie you to a datatable. I use the ReportControl in particular with my .Net stuff because it really is the best I've seen. Personally, I am sticking with CJ for quite some time yet for those applications I think appropriate.

Regards
Boris

VS 2005-2008-2010-2013
sforces View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sforces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2011 at 10:49am
It would be great if all the Suite controls were ported to .NET and maintained much of the object models so that it's be easy to use either. While many of us are still developing in VB, many only do so on maintenance of existing code while working on porting our apps in parallel to VB.NET or C#. One way or another that is the future. And it would be great to know that great visual components we're already used to had native .NET controls.

There were some .NET controls that CJ offered but they seem to have disappeared from the site.

I certainly don't advocate that CJ drop everything and focus on getting all the controls out to .NET (aka the mess they created with their approach when they added charting and all the delay issues with getting version 15 out) but instead it would be great if they tackle taking 1 or 2 controls at a time (as long as it doesn't compromise bug fixing and new features of the Suite controls) to create their  .NET equiv written and released with new update they release.

Originally posted by matt.dillard matt.dillard wrote:

Two questions:
Product: Xtreme Suite Pro (ActiveX) version 16.3.1

Platform: Windows XP SP3 (32bit)

Boris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2011 at 11:01am
Couldn't agree more. I also understand that certain aspects of ADO are an issue in Win7 Sp1. Moving to .Net is enevitable. So a gradual migration to .Net  would be a sensible approach. I also have to manage  legacy apps and those are the ones that tend to use CJ for in the main. I use DevExpress for my .Net stuff if its a new app. CJ are going to lose out here soon.

I still maintain though that CJ's controls are very hard to beat.
Boris

VS 2005-2008-2010-2013
markmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2011 at 11:38am

I too would love to see the CJ controls ported to dotnet.

Our main app is vb6 and stuffed full of CJ controls.

and would be up for using them in dotnet as activex controls if i was sure that activex was future proof in future versions of windows.

The link in the previous post was interesting reading, and just makes it more important to me that CJ stay current.
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 13.0.0
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2
Language: Visual Basic 6.0
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic