Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Toolkit Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DotNet or Not DotNet? (Repost)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boa1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DotNet or Not DotNet? (Repost)
    Posted: 16 October 2003 at 8:54am

Because my previous post was removed after one month of silence, I'm reposting it again.

I'm very interesting in the new .NET version of XT. However, after downloading an evaluating, I detected that this is not a real .NET library - it just wraps the existing MFC/Win32 framework. Is it true? If so, I would not recommend using it. CJ team, do you plan to create native .NET components?

P.S. to see MFC/Win32 legacy dependencies, just try to run

Ildasm.exe /adv

and open one of XP.NET DLLs such as CodeJock.XtremeCommandBars.dll. In addition, why do you distribute mfc70.dll, if you call the package .NET?

It remembers me the old good days when not so experienced coders claimed, that they're "writing programs under Windows", but it was native MS DOS code run inside DOS box

Wating for your answer.

kstowell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kstowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2003 at 5:52pm

Hello There!

To answer your questions...

The Xtreme Suite which consists of Docking Pane, Command Bars and Property Grid is indeed a .NET WinForms component.  The .NET component was created using managed code this is obvious by the dependency on mfc70.dll and is no mystery.

Since our products must have cross-language support (Visual C++/MFC, Visual Basic/ActiveX and .NET), using managed code was the most logical approach.  This also provides encapsulation so we do not need to maintain multiple code repositories for each language, and can concentrate our development efforts in one place.

In case you don't know what managed code is here is a quote from MSDN, managed code runs within the context of the .NET run-time environment:

"A program written with managed code using Managed Extensions for C++, for example, can operate with the common language runtime to provide services such as memory management, cross-language integration, code access security, and automatic lifetime control of objects."

The bottom line is in a "DotNET only world" you would see this product completely re-written in C# .  However to maintain cross-language support "ie: real world" there is no practical reason to completely rewrite the product using C# and maintain two separate code bases.  As you can imagine, this would be a huge loss of time and resources.

Kind regards,
Codejock Support

Edited by Administrator
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic