Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Chart Control
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chart control causes lockups

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gduncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chart control causes lockups
    Posted: 19 October 2010 at 9:12pm
Hi,

I use vb6, the chart control and suite 13.3.1

I am working on an existing project making various changes. I have been continually developing this application for several years now and the code base is very stable.

When the chart control was released I included this into the application to give it a bit of zing and ever since have experienced lock up after lock up of the vb6 development environment.

It is very strange and I cant understand why it is behaving this way.

If I load the application into VB and never go into my new form with the chart on it I never experience any problems.

If I so much as open the form, and I am not even running the application yet, then the next time I try and save the project or run the project the whole development environment locks up.

Having said that, if I load the application and run it without going into the form it will run just fine.

I have rebooted, virus scanned, defragged and chkdisked just in case there is a corruption somewhere.

I do not have any problems with the chart sample programs supplied with the install.

I notice that suite controls 13.4.2 "ensures compatibility with chart pro" - What exactly does that mean? At this point in time I suspect this could be what is causing me problems so am going to upgrade now.

Has anyone elses experienced this?
What does "ensures compatability" really mean.
Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

If I cant resolve this I will have to uninstall the chart control.

gduncan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gduncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2010 at 9:24pm
Upgrading Suite pro to 13.4.2  made no difference.
gduncan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gduncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2010 at 9:31pm
Have removed the chart control off the form and not one lockup.

This is not some problem with my code. Simply having the chart control on the form is causing me to crash.
Fabian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fabian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2010 at 2:00am
Hi gduncan

I tried this on our largest project (VB6, CJ 13.4.0). I put a chart control on a form; no code at all. I started the app and opened this form but nothing strange happens?!

So probably it helps if you combine your other third party controls one after one onto a form with the chart control to check if there are some side effects.

Regards
Fabian
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 16.2.3

Platform: Windows 7 (32bit)

Language: Visual Basic 6.0 / SP6
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2010 at 2:05am
Hi,

Can you attach something that can help reproduce problem ?
Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
znakeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2010 at 3:22pm
Try disabling heuristics in your antivirus. I've seen disastrous lockups of Visual Studio when such functions where enabled in my antivirus!

You save your file -> antivirus scans it. Buggy antivirus, you're doomed - at the driver level.

Just a theory.
PokerMemento - http://www.pokermemento.com/
gduncan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gduncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 6:17pm
Update :

Completely shut off anti virus.

Loaded VB6 and chose start a new project.
Added the Chart control as a Component.
Opened Form 1
Put a Chart on the Form

Saved Project to c:\junk
Closed down VB6

Double clicked on Project1.vbp

Opened Form1
Moved Chart to a different location on the form.
Clicked the menu option Form/Exit.
A popup appears asking me if I would like to save before exiting.
I click Yes
VB6 Development Environment hangs.

Note this does not happen every time, but I repeated this load, move, exit routine 20 times and had it hang 13 out of 20.

There is not one single line of code in this project, it is simple a chart control on a form.

The only thing of note that I would say was unusual about my system is that it is a vmworkstation but I have been using this environment without problems for a very long time and I use the various Suite controls every day. 
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 3:27am
Hi,

Something with second thread that help draw chart. Can you please open new issues in issuetrack, I will attach updated ocx to test with your environment?
Thanks
Oleg, Support Team
j.godas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.godas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 10:04am
Please,  report any new about this issue because  no final release I am able to done actually!!
I am developing in virtual-box environment, windows XP Sp3, VB6 sp6
Codejocks ActiveX Suite pro 13.4.2 and Chart Pro 14.1
Product: Xtreme SuitePro ActiveX Ver. 13.4.2
Platform: Windows XP, Windows 7
www.krontime.com
Language: Vb6
znakeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 11:10am

I've had a similar issue with another charting control. For VMWare I hade to shut off hardware acceleration or the control would not work correctly.

I believe CJ need to allow disabling of hardware accelerated drawing here.
PokerMemento - http://www.pokermemento.com/
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 1:10pm
Hi,

VB IDE crashes a lot when running tests. Is this because I didn't install V13.4.2 ? I really hope not because of the DockingPanes problem (I didn't try myself but another ActiveX user replied on the post in MFC), I use DockingPanes in all my projects so isn't an option to install new version :(

Thanks

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.0.2
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2
Language: Visual Basic 6.0

Zero replies is not an option....
gduncan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gduncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by oleg oleg wrote:

Can you please open new issues in issuetrack, I will attach updated ocx to test with your environment?

Where is issuetrack ? How do I access it ?
gduncan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gduncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 5:59pm
Figured it out.

IssueTrack ID = 25515
gduncan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gduncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2010 at 5:52pm
Oleg,

On Monday you said you would attach a ocx for me to test and it is now Friday and nothing.... can you please have a look at this.

Thanks.
aguerens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aguerens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2010 at 11:08am

Hi there,

I am evaluating Chart library for internal applications but getting to the same roadblock.

I am using Chart Control ver 14.1.0 within a MS-Access 2003 form in a Win XP Professional w/SP3 environment.

Behavior: random lock-ups when displaying chart's form (3 out of 10 times perhaps), but couldn't identify the offending scenario combination so far.

Any patches available? Anything to disable/enable?

Thanks in advance.
Alec
Alec
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2010 at 12:45pm
Hi,

Sorry Greg , it was assigned only today. Will attach 15.0 beta to test.

Alec, please open new issue (support.codejock.com)
Oleg, Support Team
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic