Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Suite Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GUID = CLSID + TYPELIB clarification and poll

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Do you think Codejock have to change TYPELIB value with each release
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [11.11%]
8 [88.89%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GUID = CLSID + TYPELIB clarification and poll
    Posted: 18 October 2010 at 10:08am
Hi,

We had hot discussion about GUIDs and if possible to work with 2 versions on same PC.
Seems we need clarify things here:

How things look now:

1. All versions have same TYPELIB (identifier of whole ActiveX)
for example typelib for CommandBars ActiveX 14.0 is
Object={555E8FCC-830E-45CC-AF00-A012D5AE7451}#14.0#0; CommandBars.ocx
same as CommandBars ActiveX  10.0:
Object={555E8FCC-830E-45CC-AF00-A012D5AE7451}#10.0#0; CommandBars.ocx

2. All vesions have different CLSID for each _controls_ inside ActiveX.

Typelib value only used by development platforms and help Visual Basic upgrade forms and project - if you have application that uses 13.0, you only need uninstall 13.0, install 14.0 and Visual Basic will automatically start using it
If you deliver application with CommandBars 14.0 to user already has another aplication that uses CommandBars 12.0  - both applications will work without problems -  Because CLSID of controls are different and compiled exe already don't use TYPELIB value.

There is only one problem with such numbering - its hard to develop 2 applications _at the same time_  with Visual Basic if one uses 12.0 and another 14.0 -  you have each time reregister version you need (for example create bat file) otherwise Visual Basic will ask to upgrade 12.0 to 14.0 on each project open. 

As alternative  we can replace TYPELIB value with each update, but developers in that case should manually replace all TYPELIBS in each project and form files of application - Visual Basic won't update them automatically.

we know that some (maybe even most) vendors (for example Crystall Report ActiveX) change TYPELIB with each version - but they  release new version once in year.  it will be annoying to replace these number for our customers with our 4-5 releases/year.

I'd prefer not to change it - for 8 years we had maybe only 3-4 complains about it, but lets discuss and poll it :)

Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
Jebo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2010 at 2:08pm
Oleg, I think your poll is not the right question!

> otherwise Visual Basic will ask to upgrade 12.0 to 14.0 on each project open.
Normally it's possible to deactivate the "ask to upgrade" question in Visual Basic!!!
This IS NOT POSSIBLE with v13.4.1 and 14.4.2 - that's the problem we have!
But with older releases (such as with 13.1.0 and 13.2.0) it works well! WHY?
So please check this out! Embarrassed
[Sig removed by Admin: Signature can't exceed 40GB]
gibra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2010 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by oleg oleg wrote:

There is only one problem with such numbering - its hard to develop 2 applications _at the same time_  with Visual Basic if one uses 12.0 and another 14.0 -  you have each time reregister version you need (for example create bat file) otherwise Visual Basic will ask to upgrade 12.0 to 14.0 on each project open. 

Sorry, oleg, but this is unpardonable and isn't professional.

As Codejock Customer...:
  1. First of all, I have the right to decide when and if upgrade a project from OCX version to next.
    This decision not to be taken from Codejock!
    This decision not to be taken from a poll!
  2. I work with dozens of projects each of which can use different CJ OCX version. I.e.
    - MyApp v1.0.0 use codejock v12.0.0
    - MyApp v1.8.0 use Codejock v.13.0.0
    - MyApp v2.0.0 sue Codejock v.13.4.0, and so on...
    BUT, not all my customers use same version therefore I must make maintenance for different versions simultaneously.
    I don't want to be forced to remember which version of the each project uses which version of OCX, also I don't want to be forced to register a different version with COM Registrator.exe because I cannot work with more Codejock OCX versions simultaneously!
  3. As already posted in Codejock Product Road Map From The CEO forum:
    I have just encountered this problem:
    Normally use v.13.4.
    1 - I have re-registed v.13.3 with it Registrator.exe to work in a project (A) which use v.13.3.
    2 - after 1 hour, a customer call me for a little problem with a different project (B), which use v.13.4.
    3 - I open the project (B) to correct the problem (project A still open!)
    4 - solved the problem, compile the project B and update the exe to the customer (via remote connection).
    5 - few minutes after updating, customer re-call me that the project don't run anymore, it get a error about invalid license. Ouch
    6 - then I check the project B which use 13.4, and I see that has been compiled with 13.3 version!
    7 - then I was forced to re-registered v.13.4, to compile again the project, update again to the customers. After, the project work correctly.
  4. oleg write: (for example create bat file)
    I hope are you kidding. File bat????  No comment...Angry

Oleg, this isn't a professional way of work!
    In so many years of developer I never happened a such thing.

I think that is easy to understand.
  5. oleg write: if one uses 12.0 and another 14.0
    Where is 14.0?
    I know that the latest version is 13.4.2
    Currently, I use 13.4.0. I have downloaded both 13.4.1 and 13.4.2 but due to above problems I don't install them otherwise the upgrade force me to update all versions of all my projects.
    oleg, your think about this?

we know that some (maybe even most) vendors (for example Crystall Report ActiveX) change TYPELIB with each version - but they  release new version once in year.  it will be annoying to replace these number for our customers with our 4-5 releases/year.
This is the correct and professional method.
In fact, I can open different versions of projects which use different versions of CrystalReport without any problem. Wink

Again: I want myself to decide IF and WHEN version may changed, or not.

I'd prefer not to change it - for 8 years we had maybe only 3-4 complains about it
Very very bad choice, for me. Angry

gibra
CJ SuiteControl v: 13.x to 19.x
Windows 10 64bit
VS2019 - VB6.0 SP6
<a href="http://nuke.vbcorner.net/Home/tabid/36/language/en-US/Default.aspx" rel="nofollow">VS/VB 6.0 Installer v6.8
Jebo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2010 at 6:12pm
@Gibra
Please not so willing to attack. I am sure CJ will find a solution... Handshake

@All
- MyApp v1.0.0 use codejock v12.0.0
- MyApp v1.8.0 use Codejock v.13.0.0
- MyApp v2.0.0 sue Codejock v.13.4.0, and so on...
Same by me!
But again, the problem occurs only with v13.4.0 and higher(!)
With CJ-components from v9.x to v13.3 I was able to develop in each my projects with each CJ-versions on the same time!

But you must deselect this checkbox and start "Registrator.exe" only after the installation of a new CJ-release!

...Unfortunately this no longer works with version 13.4.0, 13.4.1 and 13.4.2.

@CJ
Therefore, we need not necessarily changing of any GUID's, Polling or something else. It is enough just again to publish your components like the past!

[Sig removed by Admin: Signature can't exceed 40GB]
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Jebo Jebo wrote:

@CJ
Therefore, we need not necessarily changing of any GUID's, Polling or something else. It is enough just again to publish your components like the past!

Hi,

@Jebo
You are right about this. If we have an option to DO NOT upgrade ActiveX controls we don't need anything else.

@Gibra
I really don't understand, you said you don't want to keep track which customer uses which version... How do you keep track (if you have that much VB projects open at one time) which customer belongs to opened project? btw if you have that much opened project at one time I guess you have to pay more attention to your programming skills than to this topic Tongue

If CJ solves this matter (not automatically update with new version unless "upgrade ActiveX" is checked) it will be fine for me and I think for most of the members. I have been in this forum for a few years now and I didn't see a post regarding this (well not in a way Gibra did)

Thanks

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.0.2
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2
Language: Visual Basic 6.0

Zero replies is not an option....
gibra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Aaron Aaron wrote:

@Jebo
You are right about this. If we have an option to DO NOT upgrade ActiveX controls we don't need anything else.
Read better. Jebo has written:

In fact, I disabled  this option for ALL my projects, to avoid the problem.
But the problem is still.

@Gibra
I really don't understand,
I see ...
Perhaps this is due to my bad english... Ouch

you said you don't want to keep track which customer uses which version...
No.
I intend that I don't want keep track the CODEJOCK version used by a project.
I.e. this mean that I want use a ProjectA with 13.3 and a ProjectB with 13.4.

Actually, instead, I'm forced work with ONE project at time, and I must change each time the active Codejock registered version (using COM Registrator.exe) because Codejoct can't allow me to work with more than one version simultaneously.

Shortly, I don't want that when I install a new version of SuiteControls (i.e. 13.4) , then after this when I modify and compile a project which use v13.3 the executable NOW require v13.4, in other words isn't longer compatible with Codejock version installed in the customers.
If the project use v13.3 then compiled executable must use v13.3.

Really, I don't know how to explain better thic problem... Ouch
It so ardous to understand?
You can try yourself. Big smile

btw if you have that much opened project at one time I guess you have to pay more attention to your programming skills than to this topic Tongue
Oh... Clap
Very thank, I develop programs since 20+ years and I believe to know programming skills.
Perhaps, you have to pay more attention to read better. LOL

If CJ solves this matter (not automatically update with new version unless "upgrade ActiveX" is checked) it will be fine for me and I think for most of the members. I have been in this forum for a few years now and I didn't see a post regarding this (well not in a way Gibra did)
Because until now this problem there not. 
This is a NEW problem which start with v.13.4.0, as Jebo already written.
If you use v13.0.0 (as your sign say) then you can't understand this problem, because you don't have any problem.

Again: "Upgrade ActiveX Controls" ISN'T checked for all my projects.

Perhaps, this problem has been solved after v.13.4.0 versions.
But between 13.3.1 and 13.4.0 the problem is still.

I hope, really, this clarification to be meaningful.

Thank. Smile

gibra
Windows 10 64bit
VS2019 - VB6.0 SP6
<a href="http://nuke.vbcorner.net/Home/tabid/36/language/en-US/Default.aspx" rel="nofollow">VS/VB 6.0 Installer v6.8
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 11:15am
Jebo said:

@CJ
And I responded with:
@Jebo

@Gibra
I really don't understand, you said you don't want to keep track which customer uses which version... How do you keep track (if you have that much VB projects open at one time) which customer belongs to opened project? btw if you have that much opened project at one time I guess you have to pay more attention to your programming skills than to this topic

Well, don't say I didn't read it properly Tongue

btw My signature means nothing, I keep developing with new versions (maybe that's why there's a "small" post about issues in ReportControl subforum??? Huh???

Thanks again

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.0.2
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2
Language: Visual Basic 6.0

Zero replies is not an option....
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 12:53pm
Hi,

Yes as we noted in release notes. 13.4.0 just had this  problem - we didn't update CLSID. Its only one exception.  Please try 13.4.2

Again: "Upgrade ActiveX Controls" ISN'T checked for all my projects.

Perhaps, this problem has been solved after v.13.4.0 versions.
But between 13.3.1 and 13.4.0 the problem is still.

I hope, really, this clarification to be meaningful.

Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
gibra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 4:31pm
Aaron,

Upgrade ActiveX Controls, checked or not, isn't the problem.

Below I will show the Windows Registry so you can understand what is the real problem:

- v13.0.0 is OK
- v13.3.1 and 13.4.0 has same CLSID. This is the problem. Ouch
- v13.4.2 is OK

Regards Smile

gibra
Windows 10 64bit
VS2019 - VB6.0 SP6
gibra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 5:32am
Arghhh, after installed v13.4.2, the problem is the same!

I have open a project which use v13.4.0 BUT this version is no longer registered, and AUTOMATICALLY the project is upgraded to v13.4.2.

To continue to use my project which use v13.4.0 I'm forced to use Registrator.exe of v13.4.0 to re-register this version. Unfortunately, this cause that v13.4.2 will un-registered!

Therefore, again, I'm not able to use more than one version at same time (in different project, of course) but I' forced to continuously use Registrator.exe to register tha version which I will work for.

So, nothing is solved! Angry

Now?
gibra
Windows 10 64bit
VS2019 - VB6.0 SP6
SeungMina View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeungMina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2010 at 5:30pm
gibra, why not use virtual machines? eg. Microsoft VPC.

I use them all the time, mostly for testing my software under different versions of Windows... but they are also very useful when you need several different development environments.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic