Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Controls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

<SOLVED> TaskDialog problem Win98

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: <SOLVED> TaskDialog problem Win98
    Posted: 04 August 2010 at 5:29pm
I use the CJ TaskDialog control with markup and it works fine under Windows Xp, Vista, and 7.
However on a PC with Windows 98SE it does not display properly.  When the TaskDialog is called, there appears a messagebox headed "CJ Controls" and a button labelled OK.

Is this a known problem with Windows98 ?  Or is it likely to be a conflict with some other software on that PC, or limitation of its video card?
Any suggestions?

(It is not my PC, but this problem is reported by a client who wants to use my app).

SOLUTION:  removed the "encoding='UTF-8'  "  from the first line of XML and everything then works OK on all computers.

Chris (Manchester, UK) -- www.abc6.co.uk ---- Using CodeJock ActiveX Suite 13.1.0 with Windows8, VB6 SP6
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 5:34am
Hi,

Do you manuall set all parameters or load them from XML ?
Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
chrisABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 5:44am
I manually set all parameters.

Chris (Manchester, UK) -- www.abc6.co.uk ---- Using CodeJock ActiveX Suite 13.1.0 with Windows8, VB6 SP6
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 5:48am
Hmm. at least sample works for me without problems. can you send our sample to your customer to check it ?

and please copy your code that create this task dialog here - I will check it with my Windows 98.
Oleg, Support Team
chrisABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 1:16pm
Thanks Oleg.  If you say it works OK with Win98 then that is all I need. I can tell the client it likely is his PC causing the problem :-)
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2010 at 3:37am
Better paste your code anyway :) Maybe you have something sepcial that I didn't test.
Oleg, Support Team
chrisABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 11:17am
Same problem (as last August) now reported with Windows 2003.

Customer has several PCs, and has tried my app on all of them. The PCs with WinXP and Win7 work fine, but on the Windows2003 PC the CJ TaskDialog does not display. Instead there is just a message box headed "CJcon~.ocx'  and an OK button.

I am just asking if anyone has any ideas what might be the cause or solution.
Fabian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fabian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 11:28am
Hi Chris

Do you set .UseComCtl32=False?

Regards
Fabian
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 16.2.3

Platform: Windows 7 (32bit)

Language: Visual Basic 6.0 / SP6
chrisABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 12:33pm
I have search all my VB code and cannot find any .useComCtl32 at all.

So I have not set this as far as I know.

Where would I put it if I want to try it?
Would this cause the symptom I describe?

The app on Win2003 PC is identical to the app that works perfectly on hundreds of other PCs.
Could there be some setting on that PC causing the problem?

Many thanks for your help.
chrisABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 12:55pm
I found the .UseComCtl32 is a property of the TaskDialog
and it was set as True.

I have changed this to False.
Do you think it is worth sending revised software to customer for them to test it?
ie. Is it possible this setting could affect the problem?
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 3:23pm
Hi,

Maybe instead whole application you can send them our demo and ask check if it works for them ?
Thanks
Oleg, Support Team
Fabian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fabian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 1:55am
Hi Chris

ComCtl32 is a part of Windows and there are many different versions. TaskDialog was only supported in Vista and Win7. I think, if you set the property to False, the dialog was totally created in CJ-code and the behaviour was identically under each OS version.

So probably it is worth trying it

Regards
Fabian
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 16.2.3

Platform: Windows 7 (32bit)

Language: Visual Basic 6.0 / SP6
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2011 at 7:57am
Hi,

When property is True for old OS it acts as False anyway... Chris, if its still problem, please send our sample for them.
Oleg, Support Team
chrisABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2011 at 11:58am
Thank you, good idea.
Customer has been on holiday (vacation), so I will contact them soon.
chrisABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2011 at 4:28am
I have 3 customers with this [problem.

CJ Sample works OK on all 3 customer computers.

So it seems problem must be something in MY code.

Thank you Oleg for good idea to try CJ sample.
I will now go to look for problem and tell you what I find (or else ask for more advice)
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2011 at 7:45am
Hi,

Another thing to check - if you set properties in PropertyBrowser try set them in code instead. 
Oleg, Support Team
chrisABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 4:58am
I have isolated the problem. Please can you help explain what is happening.

This works fine on Win98 PC.

myXML = "<Dialog Name=" & Chr$(34) & "Dialog007" & Chr$(34) & " AllowCancel="
               & Chr$(34) & "true" & Chr$(34) & " EnableHyperlinks=" & Chr$(34) & "true"
               & Chr$(34) & " MessageBoxStyle=" & Chr$(34) & "true" & Chr$(34) & ">"
  myXML = myXML & "<WindowTitle>File Download</WindowTitle>"
  myXML = myXML & "<MainInstruction Image=" & Chr$(34) & "*Warning" & Chr$(34)
               & ">Do you want to open or save this file?</MainInstruction>"
  myXML = myXML & "<Content>Name:  %1\nType:  %2\nFrom:  %3</Content>"
  myXML = myXML & " <Buttons Default=" & Chr$(34) & "2" & Chr$(34)
                 & "> <Cancel/> <Button ID=" & Chr$(34) & "100" & Chr$(34)
                 & ">&amp;Open</Button> <Button ID=" & Chr$(34)
                 & "101" & Chr$(34) & ">&amp;Save</Button> </Buttons>"
  myXML = myXML & "<Verification Checked=" & Chr$(34) & "true" & Chr$(34)
                & ">&amp;Always ask before open</Verification>"
  myXML = myXML & "<Footer Image=" & Chr$(34) & "*Shield" & Chr$(34)
                & ">While files from Internet can be useful, some files can potentially
                        harm your computer. If you do not trust the source, do not open
                        or save this file. &lt;a href=" & Chr$(34)
                 & "http://www.microsoft.com" & Chr$(34)
                 & "&gt;What's the risk?&lt;/a&gt;</Footer>"
  myXML = myXML & " </Dialog>"

TaskDialog1.CreateFromXML myXML, "Dialog[@Name='Dialog007']", Params

TaskDialog1.ShowDialog

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not work in Win98 (but works OK in XP, Vista, 7)
ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE FIRST LINE

myXML = "<?xml version=" & Chr$(34) & "1.0" & Chr$(34) & " encoding=" & Chr$(34)
               & "UTF-8" & Chr$(34) & "?>" & _
              "<Dialogs xmlns=" & Chr$(34) & "http://www.codejock.com/schema/TDSchema.xsd"
              & Chr$(34) & ">"

myXML = myXML & "<Dialog Name=" & Chr$(34) & "Dialog007" & Chr$(34) & " AllowCancel="
             & Chr$(34) & "true" & Chr$(34) & " EnableHyperlinks=" & Chr$(34) & "true"
             & Chr$(34) & " MessageBoxStyle=" & Chr$(34) & "true" & Chr$(34) & ">"
 myXML = myXML & "<WindowTitle>File Download</WindowTitle>"
 myXML = myXML & "<MainInstruction Image=" & Chr$(34) & "*Warning" & Chr$(34)
             & ">Do you want to open or save this file?</MainInstruction>"
 myXML = myXML & "<Content>Name:  %1\nType:  %2\nFrom:  %3</Content>"
 myXML = myXML & " <Buttons Default=" & Chr$(34) & "2" & Chr$(34)
         & "> <Cancel/> <Button ID=" & Chr$(34) & "100" & Chr$(34)
         & ">&amp;Open</Button> <Button ID=" & Chr$(34) & "101" & Chr$(34)
         & ">&amp;Save</Button> </Buttons>"
 myXML = myXML & "<Verification Checked=" & Chr$(34) & "true" & Chr$(34)
         & ">&amp;Always ask before open</Verification>"
 myXML = myXML & "<Footer Image=" & Chr$(34) & "*Shield" & Chr$(34)
         & ">While files from Internet can be useful, some files can potentially
           harm your computer. If you do not trust the source, do not open
           or save this file. &lt;a href=" & Chr$(34)
           & "http://www.microsoft.com" & Chr$(34)
           & "&gt;What's the risk?&lt;/a&gt;</Footer>"
 myXML = myXML & " </Dialog> </Dialogs>"

TaskDialog1.CreateFromXML myXML, "Dialogs/Dialog[@Name='Dialog007']", Params

TaskDialog1.ShowDialog
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 7:27am
???
Actually it was my first question in this thread "Do you manuall set all parameters or load them from XML"

So you load it from XML in your application too?
Oleg, Support Team
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 7:32am
Maybe it don't follow xsd file. Try to remove< xmlns=" & Chr$(34) & "http://www.codejock.com/schema/TDSchema.xsd"> part
Oleg, Support Team
chrisABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 7:59am
Sorry if I confused you Oleg.

I do not load XML from disk file. But I create XML string in the program, then pass it to TaskDialog
chrisABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 8:09am
OK, I have done this and sent it to customer to test.

(I am puzzled because your original TaskDialog Sample works OK on his PC. And your sample includes the Schema line... ??)
chrisABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 10:00am
Customer reports no difference.  :-(

I will do some more tests....

chrisABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2011 at 5:10am
This code works on all PCs

' myXML = "<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>"

myXML = myXML & "<Dialogs xmlns='anyold123232312stringhere'>"
    myXML = myXML & "<Dialog Name='Dialog007' AllowCancel='true' EnableHyperlinks='true'
                    MessageBoxStyle='true'>"
    myXML = myXML & "<MainInstruction Image='*Warning'>
                    Do you want to open or save this file?</MainInstruction>"
    myXML = myXML & "<Content>A simple text message here</Content>"
    myXML = myXML & " <Buttons Default='2'> <Cancel/> <Button ID='100'>&amp;Open</Button>
                    <Button ID='101'>&amp;Save</Button> </Buttons>"
    myXML = myXML & "<Verification Checked='true'>&amp;Always ask before open</Verification>"
    myXML = myXML & "<Footer Image='*Shield'>While files from Internet can be useful,
                  some files can potentially harm your computer. If you do not trust the source,
                   do not open or save this file. &lt;a href='http://www.microsoft.com'&gt;
                    What's the risk?&lt;/a&gt;</Footer>"
    myXML = myXML & " </Dialog>"
    myXML = myXML & "</Dialogs>"

TaskDialog1.CreateFromXML myXML, "Dialogs/Dialog[@Name='Dialog007']"

TaskDialog1.ShowDialog

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note that the first line is commented out.

If I put the first line back, then the code works on MOST computers. But on a couple of WIN98 PCs this code does not work -- just gives CJ CONTROLS error.

If I create an error in the XML (eg. remove a > bracket) then I get this error on all PCs.
So it looks like something on the WIN98 PC is finding an error in the XML when that first line is there.  (But more modern PCs do not show error).

Do you know what files in Windows are used by TaskDialog to interpret the XML?  (I am thinking, maybe WIN98 has an old version .....)

If I leave off the first line for ALL computers, could this cause any problem??  (It seems to work OK)

Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2011 at 10:48am
What if you remove only "encoding='UTF-8'" part of instruction ? Maybe indeed has old parser that don't know about UTF-8.
Oleg, Support Team
chrisABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 4:21am
Thanks Oleg. That works.

So the encoding='UTF-8' seems to cause a problem with old Win98 computer.

(Hmm... we still need to explain why the CJ Sample also works, even though it does include UTF-8, but I am not going to worry about that :-)

Thanks again for your help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic