Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Property Grid
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PropertyGridControl

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PropertyGridControl
    Posted: 15 March 2010 at 3:34pm
Hi,

This control is the best control CJ developed so far... There are just a handfull of (known) problems with this control so that's a good thing, right? (But if no one from support ever replies in this post the problems will grow and grow and it isn't the best control anymore LOL)  But it's time for some improvements. Please reply if you feel like that we need a new feature and/or need to fix an issue 

ISSUES:
  1. I don't know if this is normal behaviour but tooltip doesn't show actual value of item when first time mouse hoovers item. Only when mouse hoovers the second time it shows actual value of PropertyItem.  See post: https://forum.codejock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=16124 Test project is present
  2. The button doesn't get updated with newly assigned value (Caption, icon, etc...) Without LockRedraw the value gets updated until item is selected / resized (I guess internal redraw) See post: https://forum.codejock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11199
  3. PropertyGridEnumFlags limited to 32 childs. See post: https://forum.codejock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=16132
  4. Icon alignment in caption with MultiLine. See post: https://forum.codejock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=13542
  5. Tooltip still shows even when set with DrawTextWordBreak. https://forum.codejock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=16063 SOLVED in V13.3.2
  6. With wndPropertyGrid.NavigateCaptions = False the arrow up/down key will set focus to Caption side and not on the Value side as I would expect
  7. Navigating Items (PropertyBool & CheckBoxStyle = True) doesn't work. @JohnP
  8. Description text of first item doesn't show at startup. The caption rectangle shows, but description in Help section doesn't.
  9. Clicking checkbox in value part is causing the caption selection to show and hide again.
  10. Check Color properties in PropertyGrid control, I uploaded test project (see below) and I would like a comment.
  11. Why does SelectionChanged event fire when just clicking on same item? Expanding item will fire event even twice. Even clicking InplaceButton fires the event. Why, why, why?  

REQUESTS:
  1. Automatic sizing of PropertyGrid Multiline item while typing text into multiline.
  2. .DefaultValue property should contain same type as .Value in order to compare both values. Now you have to do a lot of "workarounds" to compare the values if .Value has been changed.
  3. If 2. can't be accomplished we would like to have the .HighlightChangedItem made public. This way can check if the value has been changed more easely.
  4. SetMask could use some improvements. (or maybe I don't understand how it works ) If you (forummember) agree let me hear your opinion.
  5. Markup for propertygrid values (now it supports only captions)
  6. Method GetRect returns values for entire item, would like same method for only the value part.
  7. SplitterPos changed event would be a nice option to have for calculations with PropertyGridItem value part  
  8. If issue .6 isn't a bug: Focus only on the value side of the grid. @wakerunner - https://forum.codejock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=16240 
  9. Slider and spinner controls always visible. @nighthawk - https://forum.codejock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=12889
  10. Add EditStyleAlpha, allowing only characters a-z/A-Z @nighthawk
  11. Maybe the most useful thing would be to have a BeforeEditChange(NewValue, Cancel) event. This would fire after the user does something that will change the value of PropertyGridItem (for example, types on the keyboard, pastes/cuts from/to the clipboard). You could then handle any case (alpha, numeric, alphanumeric, currency, different languages, etc...). NewValue would be what the item value is going to be changed to, and you could set Cancel = True in code to prevent the change from taking place. @jpbro (see reply somewhere below)
  12. Property DefaultCategoryItemHeight DefaultItemHeight  I use PropertyGrid control for all settings in my project and use a lot of InplaceButtons with icons on it. Icons are 16x16 but with current "default" height the Inplacebutton is a few pixels too small to fit the icon so I have to set the PropertyItem height everytime !!! I think it looks "messy" when having different heights so all my Category items have same height also when it's without an InplaceButton with icon
  13. Option to set splitter in pixels. Maybe wndPropertyGrid.SetSplitterPos [0 <> 1 in percentage]  or  [> 1 in pixels]

Thanks a lot

wakerunner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakerunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2010 at 6:22pm
I agree with these requests.

I also think there should be a way to force any pending edits to update through code(or maybe there is a way I don't know of?). Or just make it so that all edits are autosaved immediately without having to push enter or change rows.

Here is the situation, I have the property grid and I have a "Save" button at the bottom of the page and a CJ commandbar shortcut for save (F5). If a user types a value in the grid and pushes F5 on their keyboard before they push enter the value they typed is not saved.

After further testing I found if I setfocus to the save button when F5 is pushed the change will be saved but there should be a way to force a save of any pending edits without having to move focus.
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 13.3.1
Platform: Windows 7 64 bit
Language: Visual Basic 6.0

Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2010 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by wakerunner wakerunner wrote:

I agree with these requests.

[...]
After further testing I found if I setfocus to the save button when F5 is pushed the change will be saved but there should be a way to force a save of any pending edits without having to move focus.

Hi,

If the propertygrid looses focus wndPropertyGrid_AfterEdit and wndPropertyGrid_ValueChanged event will fire, maybe you can use wndPropertyGrid_AfterEdit event to update Item.Value

I tried with a button and it doesn't execute the sub but propertygrid looses focus because of the mouseclick and fires wndPropertyGrid_AfterEdit event.

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.0.2
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2

Zero replies is not an option....
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakerunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2010 at 2:03pm

If the user presses the shortcut key (F5) and a save function is called the grid does not lose focus. I just added some code to setfocus to the button before calling the save function so it does lose focus when F5 is pushed.

The thing I would really like see changed is the focus on the right side. The user cannot edit the caption so the focus should never be on the caption... only the right side.

Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2010 at 2:53pm

[...]

The thing I would really like see changed is the focus on the right side. The user cannot edit the caption so the focus should never be on the caption... only the right side.

Hi,

So you want to use arrow keys to select next/previous item but only the value side. Like the TAB key does when you set wndPropertyGrid.NavigateCaptions = False? I would expect this to work with this property but it will set focus to Caption side  I will add this to the list and maybe support wants to reply on this.

Thanks

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakerunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2010 at 3:28pm
Yes thats what I mean, more like a normal grid control with the caption side being locked and all navigation happens only on the value side. I never noticed the "navigatecaptions" setting but I just upgraded to the latest version, maybe its new. That setting does improve the usability of the grid when you use tab, but even with navigatecaptions=false if you use the arrow keys the value side does not get focus. It appears the caption side does, even though you can start typing and it goes into the value side automatically it appears as though you cannot type in that space when the caption side has focus.

johnp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2010 at 8:05am
Let me add a couple of suggestions as well (if these are already available I apologize but I could not find them):

1. add editstyle options for alphaonly and alphanumeric only. I know that  an edit mask could be used but there is a numeric only editstyle so adding these other two seems to make sense.
2. in the afteredit event if you set cancel = true then control/focus should return to the item that was being editted. As far as I can tell, the focus goes to the next item in the grid.
3. when navigating through a grid with the tab key (navigate captions set to false) it seems to skip boolean items if the checkbox style is set to true (i am not sure what happens if the checkbox style is set to false)

Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by johnp johnp wrote:

Let me add a couple of suggestions as well (if these are already available I apologize but I could not find them):

1. add editstyle options for alphaonly and alphanumeric only. I know that  an edit mask could be used but there is a numeric only editstyle so adding these other two seems to make sense.
2. in the afteredit event if you set cancel = true then control/focus should return to the item that was being editted. As far as I can tell, the focus goes to the next item in the grid.
3. when navigating through a grid with the tab key (navigate captions set to false) it seems to skip boolean items if the checkbox style is set to true (i am not sure what happens if the checkbox style is set to false)

Hi,
  1. Item.EditStyle = EditStyleNumber is for entering ONLY numbers (or I don't understand what you mean )
  2. I tested this and the focus remains on item (you can't see it but try to type a character again)
  3. You are right ! It doesn't matter if True or False. I will add this to my list, thanks

johnp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2010 at 12:59pm
What I meant in item 1 was to add editstyle options for EditStyleAlpha that would allow only character A-Z/a-z and an EditStyleAlphaNumeric that would only allow A-Z/a-z/0-9.

I will go back and look at number 2.

Thanks!
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by johnp johnp wrote:

What I meant in item 1 was to add editstyle options for EditStyleAlpha that would allow only character A-Z/a-z and an EditStyleAlphaNumeric that would only allow A-Z/a-z/0-9.

I will go back and look at number 2.

Thanks!

Hi John,

Does EditStyleAlpha flag mean that only character A-Z/a-z are allowed? or all characters EXCEPT numeric?

Thanks

jpbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 2:47pm
Maybe the most useful thing would be to have a BeforeEditChange(NewValue, Cancel) event. This would fire after the user does something that will change the value of PropertyGridItem (for example, types on the keyboard, pastes/cuts from/to the clipboard). You could then handle any case (alpha, numeric, alphanumeric, currency, different languages, etc...).

NewValue would be what the item value is going to be changed to, and you could set Cancel = True in code to prevent the change from taking place.

I don't actually use the PropertyGrid, so maybe there is already something like this, or maybe there are reasons why this wouldn't work, but it seems like it would be the most powerful way to go.
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 16.2.6
Platform: Windows XP - SP3

Language: Visual Basic 6.0 SP6

johnp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 10:45am
Only A-Z/a-z... no numbers or special characters.
Guy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 12:21pm
I agree.  Focus on the right side of the control, where changes can be made.  The caption can not be edited directly so focus should not go there, at least by default.
Guy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Aaron Aaron wrote:

[...]

Hi,

So you want to use arrow keys to select next/previous item but only the value side. Like the TAB key does when you set wndPropertyGrid.NavigateCaptions = False? I would expect this to work with this property but it will set focus to Caption side  I will add this to the list and maybe support wants to reply on this.

Thanks

This really makes sense to me.

Thanks.

Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 3:12am
Hi,

In new(er) version(s) PaintManager object is introduced? I didn't see it until now Embarrassed 
I was working on some test project where I had to change colors and I couldn't get it working (only looking at the property description and checking help file) So I created a test project for support just so they can see what is missing Wink (Of course comment of all members are welcome!!!)

Thanks

Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 12:57pm

Hi,

Why does it have to take almost a year before support is replying. It feels like I'm totally invisible in this forum Dead There are two CJ controls (RC and PG) which I use in every application (ChartControl would be third one) and get a minimum of answers. Well, don't like that at all...

Thanks for nothing

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic