Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Suite Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Populate report control on demand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amorton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Populate report control on demand
    Posted: 29 December 2004 at 12:56pm
I'm new to these controls and am trying to work out if there is a way to populate the report control on demand, when using the report in tree mode or list mode with grouping.

For example I have a list of parent items and each parent has a list of child items. I populate the list initially with 1 child from each parent (this is just as a holding item so the parent is represented in the list) and group the list by the parent name.  After calling Populate I then collapse all the group rows in the control and show the form, so i have a list of collapsed groups which the user can then choose to expand.

Then when the user expands the group row i want to retrieve the rest of the children for that parent from the database and add them to the report control. I've done this sort of thing many times before using a standard tree control.

There is no "Expanded" event  that i can see, even when the control is working as a tree. This would be *really* handy.

I have experimented with using the "BeforeDrawRow" event to catch that the "holding" item is about to be drawn and then retrieve the items from the db. If i then call the "Populate" method from within the event handler it crashed vb with a "memory could not be read" error.

I'm really impressed with all of the controls in general, but really need to be able to populate the report/list/tree on demand. It i can't do this it may sink some of my app designs.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

thanks

bbb127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbb127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 5:59am
I am also interested in using the Report control in an application similar to this. The database contains tens of thousands of records that I want to load on demand. If the user chooses to group by a column, I want to display all the groups (collapsed) and then only load the data when a particular group is expanded. Can the Report control handle this and what would be the basic steps I would need to do in order to implement it.

Also, when using the BeforeDrawRow event, is it possible to detect the difference between when the user has moved their mouse over a particular ReportItem and when the user has scrolled, making more rows come into view?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic