Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The world of .NET

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The world of .NET
    Posted: 08 December 2009 at 7:19am
Your Windows GUI project starts today, and you are to choose technology. What do you choose?

.NET, MFC, QT or other? Please motivate your answer!
ABuenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 4:09am
MFC. Qt doesn't have all the controls and look & feel you need for a native Windows app. I strictly separate the UI from the rest of the code. Result is less than 10k lines UI code and over 100k portable lines C++ code. So in my eyes only poor developers are making such a drama about the language and framework.

I have my own base classes. Portable threading, sockets, serial ports etc. 20k lines. Makes the rest a breeze.

For poor developers who don't care about portability, separation etc. I would choose .NET ;)

Codejock support
znakeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 8:09am
I agree with you. I think C++/MFC separates the elite from the poor programmers. To get it right, you have to know what you're doing (which is a great advantage when making software :P).

"However, if you want to develop high-performance and high-quality commercial applications, you'll still look to C++ and native code to deliver that power."
cjrobindch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjrobindch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 9:47am
Visual C++ 6.0 + MFC + CJ.

I have an app family with around 480k lines of code (heavy crypto, tcp/ip, threads, database, automated installers, etc, etc).  Couldn't imagine what 480k lines of .NET would be like to manage, nor how fast the app would be.
Product: Xtreme Toolkit Pro 15.0.1
Platform: Windows 7 (32bit)
Language: Visual C++ 6.0
rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 12:36pm
MFC. We talk directly to high-end OpenGL graphics cards. We have well over ten million lines of c, c++ and MFC code in the bank. Our graphics and memory requirements are huge.

.NET has its place. Creating and consuming web services is easy but I had to use MC++ to do so (has .NET finally added structured storage support?) Interacting with databases is also pretty easy.

Our (COM) app also has in-proc .NET components (add-ins) that use our API. This includes inserting WinForms into our app (docked in a C++ CJ docking pane). But managing the life-time of COM objects is a nightmare in .NET. I'm not talking about the CCWs but the actual COM objects the CCWs grab hold of and pretty much refuse to release. ReleaseComObject and FinalReleaseComObject are misnomers. The calls only release a CCW and not the actual COM object. Forcing the release can be done by careful manipulation of the GC object but even then there is no gurantee that all collectible objects get cleaned out. MS did help by not running GC when a process terminates (need a more recent .net runtime for that as the 1.x framework has not been modified afaik).

The decision boils down to exactly what your app will be doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic