Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ Controls vs VB6 Controls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ou81aswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ Controls vs VB6 Controls
    Posted: 23 August 2009 at 6:23pm

It's pretty obvious where you would use most CJ controls in place of their VB6 equivalents but I can't find much information about the subtle differences between them.

For example, a side effect of using the flat edit in place of the trusted VB6 Textbox is that it handles more text. I've tested it up to 1MB and it seems to work well. This is a pleasant suprise.

Another side effect is the way the FlatEdit_DblClick() event works. In my original code I changed the textbox's .selstart and .sellength properties so double-clicking on text within the box would select an entire word using variable naming rules instead of spaces to determine where the word starts and ends. This code does not have any effect with CJ's flat edit. It's as if CJ simply decides to apply its own text selection logic after my event procedure has completed.

I also struggled at first to understand the differences between CJ's tab control and the VB6 one given that the the CJ one does not have a .Tabs property and relies on an Item property of some sort instead.

What does CJ's treeview do that VB6's doesn't? How about the listview?

Less specifically, is there any documentation or links to topics highlighting some of the more subtle differences between the controls in general?

TIA

Edit: I'm using VB6 + CJ 13.1 + XP + Vista

chrisABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 6:24am
I have asked the same question .....

..... and received the same reply.  :-(

Chris (Manchester, UK) -- www.abc6.co.uk ---- Using CodeJock ActiveX Suite 13.1.0 with Windows8, VB6 SP6
tobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 8:25pm
One difference is the support for Markup ! This is why I use the CodeJock controls instead of the VB6 standard controls ...
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2010 at 6:17am
Hi,

I would like to know the differences as well. For now I'm using the "standard" MS & VB controls, they work for me without problems. If I would replace the controls with CJ controls what can I expect? Just replacing and wait for some "feature" that doesn't work isn't an option. I know the best feature, Markup, is available but still... So just a simple list of methods & properties would be nice, just to compare what is available and what's not. If I decide to replace the controls, I would like to know in advance what problems I would run into. I prefer just to have one library to keep it simple  

Thanks in advance

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.0.2
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2
Language: Visual Basic 6.0

Zero replies is not an option....
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2010 at 4:53am
Sure don't replace VB to CJ controls if you don't need any extended feature from CJ controls.

from general features I see Unicode support, Markup, border/appearance styles.
Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2010 at 5:27am
Originally posted by oleg oleg wrote:

Sure don't replace VB to CJ controls if you don't need any extended feature from CJ controls.

from general features I see Unicode support, Markup, border/appearance styles.

Hi Oleg,

I would like to use the extended features such as Markup but I don't know what features (for example the Treeview) are missing compared to MS TreeView. So a list of "missing" features would be nice so I can decide myself if I'm going to replace the MS/VB controls. I don't mind replacing some code to get things working as long as I know it can be done. As I said before, just one library for "common controls" would be better.

Thanks

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.0.2
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2

Zero replies is not an option....
Hemesh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 9:41am
I'm going through replacing all the controls of a vb project which is proving to be a lengthy task! I was going to use the automated one, but running through the tests, there are some niggling issues which cause more hastle that they are worth, so doing it all manually.

Why am I doing it? simply because when using the russian character set, most vb6 standard controls display the text as ?????? as they don't have unicode support. I'd suggest replacing them all if you did want unicode support!
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 18.5.0

Platform: Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic