Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Calendar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speed of historical Events

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speed of historical Events
    Posted: 14 August 2009 at 9:58am
Hi,

I have just brought back into the office a clients database. This is Access format. I have been asked me to look at some very old data because when they do this the system runs very slowly. The database goes back to Version 10x. of CJ Suite. When they scroll back to say Aug 2007 using the datapicker, the calendar does not draw for ages and only after the datepicker has completed its crawl through the data. Is there a way of amending the way that these two controls are linked so that if a user selects a date from the datepicker it draws/populates into the calendar immediately the data relating to the View Type first and then continues to populate the rest.

Can CJ  thread these two controls in someway to make them more fluid?

Regards to all,

Boris

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 16.4.0 16.3.1

Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 3

Language: Visual Basic 6.0 SP6

VS 2005-2008-2010-2013
mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2009 at 4:00am
You can do it on app level - e.g. find in VB Calendar Sample line in Load function:

wndDatePicker.AttachToCalendar CalendarControl
Boris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 3:28am
Hi Mark,

I'm sorry I didn't explain, my datepicker is attached to the calendar.

It seems as though when you first attach the calendar the dates are populated from that date forward.

However, if my users jump to a date two years in the past the controls try to populate everything in between and locks the application until all dates are populated. This is far too much of a wide range of dates to populate. I am asking if there is a way to limit the number of months/days that are populated at any time. i.e. the the amount of dates in the datepicker ? Am I explaining this ok?

Regards

Boris

VS 2005-2008-2010-2013
mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 9:43am

You can detach it - select needed dates in picker - call your own function to select dates in Calendar

Boris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 9:47am

I don't see why it should be necessary to do that, it obviates the datepicker and that is supposed to have been designed to let the user do exactly what they are doing...but thanks anyway.

Regards
Boris

VS 2005-2008-2010-2013
mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 9:58am
Because by default datapicker show dates with events with special color (font). So you db load dictate how long will be UI update process

If datePicker will respond only on Calendar selection - it will be faster.
mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 2:04pm
You can try to control this flags of DatePicker (set to be False) - to accelerate DatePicker draw:
boolean BoldDaysWithEvents;
boolean BoldDaysOnIdle;
[in MFC case: m_CalendarController.SetBoldDaysWithEvents(FALSE); m_CalendarController.SetBoldDaysOnIdle(FALSE);]
Boris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 12:45pm
Hi,

In 2007 there are upto 20 events for every weekday. In 2008 this grew to a figure slightly over that. If the user clicks the datepicker arrows to go back to a month in 2007 the datepicker does not release the calendar until the datepicker has updated. I have reduced the number of vertical rows to 3 in an attempt to prevent the datepicker taking too long to update.

Switching off the flags as you suggest does seem to offer a minor improvement nut nowhere near enough.

I don't use MFC if that helps.

Best regards and thanks for all your assistance.

Boris

VS 2005-2008-2010-2013
mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 1:01pm
Disagree - use  this settings:

wndDatePicker.BoldDaysOnIdle = False
wndDatePicker.BoldDaysWithEvents = False

switch Calendar to MonthView and scroll it Up or Down - you will see difference - now it going faster - DatePicker not block scroll till DatePicker update it's state

mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 1:19pm
btw - how many months you have in your DatePicker?
Try to restrict to one - you have arrows to switch months and even arrows to switch years if you use flag

wndDatePicker.YearsTriangle = True
Boris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 1:22pm
Hi Mark

I have set this to 3. Users preference. They previously had this to many as could fit but I have pruned that back as I had spotted the correlation between performance and display. See one of my earlier replies.

Regards

Boris

VS 2005-2008-2010-2013
Boris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 1:27pm
Hi agreed. I don't know what on earth I was doing before but you are quite correct it does load a hell of a lot faster.

........... problem... can no longer see the events in the datepicker... asking for metrics seems even slower than previous method. The empty datepicker is now just a navigation tool whereas before it gave a visual guide as to the existence of events.

It seems a classic case of dammed if I do dammed if I don't.  I suspect even after all your help I am going to hav to leave it as it was. I'm going to sleep on it.

Regards and thanks again!!!!

Boris

VS 2005-2008-2010-2013
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic