Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Controls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Markup & Lists - Next release

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Markup & Lists - Next release
    Posted: 07 August 2009 at 5:27am
Hi,

I use markup in listboxes and combos. This allows me to use icons and formatting in my list. However, if I refer to the text of a list item I get back the markup. I have created a piece of code that strips out certain known elements of the XAML but it occurred to me that an easier way would be if a property could be added that would allow us to get back the textual value of a markup list. So if markup is enabled instead of doing :

Dim myString as String
myString = me.Listbox1.List(me.Listbox1.Listindex)

we could get

Dim myString as String
myString = me.Listbox1.MarkupList(me.Listbox1.Listindex)

I understand that there is a release due ~mid September. Any chance that this could be implemented.

Regards to all,
Boris

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 16.4.0 16.3.1

Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 3

Language: Visual Basic 6.0 SP6

VS 2005-2008-2010-2013
jpbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 8:10am
I agree that something like this would be very useful for ListBoxes and ComboBoxes...This would also allow us to use Markup for editable Combos as well (when you edit you are typing plain text, and when you leave focus the markup entry would be drawn). Essentially, you would have 2 parallel lists - 1 plain text and 1 markup. The plain text list would be used for sorting, autocomplete, keyboard navigation, etc... and the Markup list would be used for display purposes.
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 16.2.6
Platform: Windows XP - SP3

Boris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 8:18am
Hi jpbro.

Good points . The sorting issue in particular is a strong reason to do this.

CJ any comments?

Regards

Boris

VS 2005-2008-2010-2013
tobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 10:03am
I totally agree !
I also would need this feature very urgent !!!

@CodeJock: Please try to implement it in the next release ...

By the way: How does this work with ReportControl ? (How) Does Filtering work if I use XAML formatted rows ?
jpbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 11:08am
With the ReportControl you can set the Value property (plain text) and the Caption property (to Markup text). AFAIK filtering, sorting, etc... occurs on the Value property. 

Boris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 11:13am
Hi

Valid point.  However, when speed and memory is an issue (many records to draw) I would prefer to see a method of returning the simple text rather than adding more data to the control. It is however a good work-around.

Regards,
Boris

VS 2005-2008-2010-2013
tobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 6:34am
Can please someone from CJ let me know if this will be in the next release ?

kstowell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kstowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 10:57am
Hi,

We are looking into your request, I am not sure we guarantee that it will make it into the next release however.

Regards,
Kirk Stowell, President and CEO
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS<
Boris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 3:18am
Hi Kirk,

Does that mean you have a release slated for distribution soon then?

Regards
Boris

VS 2005-2008-2010-2013
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 5:23am
Hi,

You can try last beta - ItemData for ComboBox and ListBox now Variant type - so you can store strings too.
Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
tobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 5:47am
Hi Oleg,

but this does not help me sorting the XAML formatted entries, right ?

Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 8:15am

Hi, yes.

Oleg, Support Team
tobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 8:55am
Please try to implement something so that it is possible !
Would be great improvement for my application ...
jpbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 9:29am
I thought of a workaround that unfortunately didn't work, but it should be able to work with a minor change from Codejock and may be an acceptable (hopefully temporary) compromise.

If you create a function that markups your plain text for use with the ListBox, you could prepend your visible markup with invisible plain text wrapped in a StackPanel. Since the left portion of markup for each item will be the same, the ListBox should sort correctly. THE PROBLEM: The CodeJock listbox ignores the Sorted property when EnableMarkup = True. If the control honoured the Sorted =TRUE property, then this workaround would work.

For example, if you have the following markup now:

<TextBlock Foreground='Red'>2</TextBlock>
<TextBlock Foreground='Green'>1</TextBlock>
<TextBlock Foreground='Blue'>3</TextBlock>

If Sorting worked, the numbers would appear in this order: 3 1 2

You could have it sort more logically by altering the markup as follows:

<StackPanel><TextBlock Visibility='Collapsed'>2</TextBlock><TextBlock Foreground='Red'>2</TextBlock></StackPanel>
<StackPanel><TextBlock Visibility='Collapsed'>1</TextBlock><TextBlock Foreground='Green'>1</TextBlock></StackPanel>
<StackPanel><TextBlock Visibility='Collapsed'>3</TextBlock><TextBlock Foreground='Blue'>3</TextBlock></StackPanel>

The order would now appear as 1 2 3, or at least it would if the CJ control honoured the Sorted property with markup enabled.

Now, perhaps the question will be "Why not sort your data before it gets marked up and put into the ListBox?" This may be a valid question, but let's assume there is a good reason for not doing this...Is it an easy solution to get the CJ ListBox/ComboBox to honour the Sorted proeprty when EnableMarkup = TRUE?

tobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2009 at 12:55pm
Hi Oleg,

is there any possible workaround to sort XAML formatted items in the Listbox in Release 13.2 ?

Thanks
tobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2009 at 4:59am
@OLEG: Can you please implement a solution or workaround in v13.2.1 ?

It's really very very important for me !!!

Thanks a lot
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2009 at 8:43am
Hi,

Thanks for patient. MarkupList property finally added for 13.2.1.
Oleg, Support Team
tobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2009 at 8:50am
Hi Oleg,

thank you very much ! With this feature will it also be possible to sort markup styles entries ?

tobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 4:37am
Can please someone from CJ answer this question ?
Btw. this new property is not included in the documentation ...
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 8:36am
Hi,

yes, you can sort Markup entries, or set some text + markup for list items and sort using its text value.
Oleg, Support Team
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic