Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Report Control
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

no caret in report combo box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squishymonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: no caret in report combo box
    Posted: 03 August 2009 at 2:43pm
I need help making caret\text cursor visible during report combo box constraint selection.

I've created a report control. A particular column uses combo boxes, and constraints, like the task manager sample. m_bConstraintEdit is true, and m_bAllowEdit is false. Once the constraint list is visible in the combo box, the user can type to select a constraint, but there is no text caret\cursor visible. Is there some way to show this? It makes it difficult to make selections using keyboard when there are many constraints, since you can't guess where the caret is.

The task manager sample seems to have the same issue. However the Combo Box control sample does show the caret properly. This is the functionality that I need since our lists are so large.

mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2009 at 4:02pm
Get frish upgrade here - https://forum.codejock.com/uploads/DemoVersion/ReportControlMFCUpdated.rar

Where you suppose to type in AllowEdit = FALSE case? This is pure picklist - you just send keypress as accelerator to picklist.
Picklist show you selection. No caret...

znakeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2009 at 3:06am

I suppose you mean some CBS_DROPDOWNLIST style?

PokerMemento - http://www.pokermemento.com/
mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2009 at 3:11am
Sure. If we use in-place edit - we have word selection and caret...

But your settings: m_bConstraintEdit is true and m_bAllowEdit is false == pure picklist without any edit:

BOOL m_bAllowEdit; // TRUE to add an edit box to this item.

BOOL m_bConstraintEdit;

// If TRUE, then you can only choose from the list of constraints added, If FALSE, then you can type a custom response not listed in the list of constraints.
Squishymonster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squishymonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2009 at 11:51am
Sorry for the delay. We wanted to integrate 13.1 before integrating the update .rar that you posted. We have not tried the .rar yet.

I'm actually setting m_bAllowEdit to true, and m_bConstraintEdit is also true. So if I type in the edit box, I must type a value that exists in the constraints.

My problem is that when using the dropdown, and typing in order to "accelerate" the selection as you put it, the selection is made based on what you've typed so far, but there is no caret within the selection \ in the dropdown itself to indicate what charcters you have typed so far. So for example, if you stop typing for a second, it seems like what you've typed is disgarded and you start over, and a caret would be a good method of feedback to make this more obvious.

However in regular combo boxes, it works differently - it shows the caret within the dropdown itself, not just in the edit box.

So I have a couple of questions:

1) Does the update .rar include that functionality to show the caret in the dropdown, not just the edit box?

2) Is the .rar safe to integrate over v13.1, ie stable, etc.? I don't believe we've used these types of updates before.

3) If none of the above, what are the chances of getting the desired functionality as an option in the near future?

Thanks everyone for your input :)
mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2009 at 7:31pm
Could you give more details about "regular" combo behaviour you expect - I copy piece of rc-code with all combinations of combo-types -
no one works run-time how you described. May be we need to apply some settings run-time?

COMBOBOX IDC_COMBO1,10,70,134,116,CBS_DROPDOWN | CBS_SORT | WS_VSCROLL | WS_TABSTOP

LTEXT "Dropdown",IDC_STATIC,11,58,36,8

COMBOBOX IDC_COMBO2,152,70,134,116,CBS_DROPDOWNLIST | CBS_SORT | WS_VSCROLL | WS_TABSTOP

LTEXT "DropList",IDC_STATIC,153,58,36,8

COMBOBOX IDC_COMBO3,299,71,134,12,CBS_SIMPLE | CBS_SORT | WS_VSCROLL | WS_TABSTOP

LTEXT "Simple",IDC_STATIC,301,59,36,8

COMBOBOX IDC_COMBO4,8,110,134,116,CBS_DROPDOWN | CBS_AUTOHSCROLL | CBS_SORT | WS_VSCROLL | WS_TABSTOP

LTEXT "Dropdown Auto",IDC_STATIC,9,95,134,8

COMBOBOX IDC_COMBO5,150,110,134,116,CBS_DROPDOWNLIST | CBS_AUTOHSCROLL | CBS_SORT | WS_VSCROLL | WS_TABSTOP

LTEXT "DropList Auto",IDC_STATIC,151,95,134,8

COMBOBOX IDC_COMBO6,298,110,134,12,CBS_SIMPLE | CBS_AUTOHSCROLL | CBS_SORT | WS_VSCROLL | WS_TABSTOP

LTEXT "Simple Auto",IDC_STATIC,299,96,134,8

You case should be DropList as you allow only predefined values.

(So in our RC you can set ConstraintEdit = FALSE and AllowEdit = FALSE)

mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2009 at 11:04pm
As answer on your general questions - current state of ReportControl is the best in previous history - features set, stability, enough collective efforts in testing.

IN-place Combo behaviour is isolated thing - if we make it more logical - it will be simple modification.
mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 6:43pm
New flag added to ReportControl - ReportCtrl.m_bTrapTabKey = TRUE; //default - FALSE

With this flag set in the case of ReportCtrl.m_bAllowEdit = TRUE and ReportCtrl.m_bEditOnClick = TRUE
click immedately open combo or start edit editbox BUT TAB key press just make next item selection without BeginEdit call so app can trap this move and do smth.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic