Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Command Bars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TTDT_RESHOW

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TTDT_RESHOW
    Posted: 20 April 2009 at 7:10pm
The SetDelayTime documentation in the help file and the include file seems to indicate the values will work as the MSDN indicates the analogous times work with the MS tip control.

TTDT_RESHOW   Retrieve the length of time it takes for subsequent tool tip windows to appear as the pointer moves from one tool to another.

However I don't see the CJ code working that way. Examining the code I find that if the user waits for a tip to appear and then moves to another control, the tip will display immediately as the code compares the tick count obtained when the last call to SetVisibleTool was made with the current tick count and if that value is LESS than the delay time I set, SetVisibleTool is called immediately and the tip for the new control is immediately displayed (SetVisibleTool displays  the  tip control's window). It seems exactly backwards and perhaps the test should be ">=" and not "<"?

The result is that if the user moves over the command ribbon and hesitates long enough for a tip to appear and then moves quickly across the ribbon, say to close a document or simply to move the mouse elsewhere, the user is presented with a constant barage of tooltips. The only way I have found to effectly avoid this is to set the TTDT_RESHOW time to zero. But of course then the user has to wait for the full initial time delay to lapse before another tip is shown if the user is actually trying to look at tips. Even setting the value to 1 ms does not prevent the tipping as the mouse moves across the ribbon from occurring.

Also, once a tip displays, it doesn't seem to go away. I tried setting the TTDT_AUTOPOP time to various values but it has no effect. For instance I set the valueu to 2000 and expect the tip to go away in 2 seconds. But I can remove my hand from the mouse and just let it sit there and the tip remains displayed (I waited for over two minutes in one test.)

Our product planners are clamoring for me to fix this.  They want the initial tip to display after 900ms (which I have working) and then subsequent tips to display only if the user has been over the next control for 300 ms.  About the only TTDT I can consistently predict is the TTDT_INITIAL value. Can you please give me a good description of just how the other two values really work?
asparagusx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asparagusx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 2:17am
 Having excatly the same problem. Using the latest (13.2.0) version certainly does not seem to have solved this problem. Have you had any further info on this?

Anton
rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2010 at 12:21pm
Nope. The control just doesn't appear to be there and you are the only reply I received. I eventually gave up and told planning they chose CJ so they have to live with the limitations that come with it.
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2010 at 3:34pm
Hi,

Thanks, TTDT_AUTOPOP was not implemented. We added it for next release.
Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 4:14pm
Thanks Oleg. Will the change also address the issue with TTDT_RESHOW?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic