Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Toolkit Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To renew or not

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To renew or not
    Posted: 04 March 2009 at 1:21pm
It's renewal time next month and in a tough economic situation it's more than ever important to know what you get for your money.

Looking at the release notes what major and interesting features have been added since April 28, 2008, there is not a lot:

Added CXTPEdit, CXTPComboBox, CXTPSpinButtonCtrl, CXTPProgressCtrl, CXTPScrollBar with set of themes
Added GDI+ support for Markup Shapes
Added Black and Silver Office2007 Skins

For others there might have been one or the other nice addition.

Also with Qt 4.5 now being available under the LGPL for free now, there is an other player in this field now.

My feeling is that the development at Codejock is slowing down for the MFC components.

So which major features can we expect this year?

Codejock support
artsd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 2:08pm
IMO, the initial cost and maintenance cost of Toolkit Pro is so reasonable that it would be silly not to renew just to get minor bug fixes. A couple of hours or programmer time at my company is more than the maintenance cost. I am still on 12.0.0 but thinking of jumping to 13.0.0 to see if that fixes some intermittent skinning glitches we have with Windows Server 2008 using Terminal Service.

The fact that Qt is under LGPL means nothing for most people. I am using the Toolkit Pro to breathe new life into a 10 year old code base that started witn Visual Studio 6 MFC. With skinning and the ribbon alone, Toolkit Pro can make an old application look leading edge.

If you are talking about Qt, then perhaps you are talking about new development. For brand new development, we use .NET WinForms, WPF, or Silverlight. I probably would not start a new project today using MFC + Toolkit Pro. But I have literally millions of lines of MFC code that is still not going away any time soon.

As long as Codejock keeps releases coming and keeps up with the latest Visual Studio versions, I will be happy.

We still build our product with VS2005 but will probably switch to VS2008 this spring. For native C++ development, I haven't seen any great reason to jump. But I don't like to get too far behind Microsoft's Visual Studio releases now (it was a large pain moving millions of lines of MFC from VS6 to VS2005 so now I will do smaller jumps :-)).

ABuenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by artsd artsd wrote:

the ... maintenance cost of Toolkit Pro is ... reasonable

Yes, it is, but only if you get something useful for it. Otherwise the money is better spent on a WinForms/WPF toolkit.
And I don't think that I'm asking too much if I wanted to know what major features are planned this year.

Originally posted by artsd artsd wrote:

For brand new development, we use .NET WinForms, WPF, or Silverlight.

Codejock also lacks WinForms and WPF controls and it doesn't seem like there is anything in the pipe. I hoped that Codejock would provide a smooth path for integrating WPF controls, maybe declarative UI (XAML) where than different implementations (MFC, WinForms, WPF) could be used with the same XAML file.

Codejock support
znakeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2009 at 4:59am

A couple of charting controls, and I'd bet all of us would be satisfied for a year or so :P

PokerMemento - http://www.pokermemento.com/
terrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by znakeeye znakeeye wrote:

A couple of charting controls, and I'd bet all of us would be satisfied for a year or so :P

Totally agreed and I hope they dont drop MFC as this would be dumb as many of us still use MFC.

I would like:

1. Charting controls
2. Pin-able Documents menu etc. like Office 2007
3. Windows 7 Style ribbons support
4. Task Dialogs which are themed even for XP and below

Thank you,
Terry Mancey

email terry@tmancey.ltd.uk | linkedin www.tmancey.ltd.uk | twitter @tmancey
terrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2009 at 10:41am
An official response would be nice :) as I am intrigued to know the future of XTP and whats coming.
Thank you,
Terry Mancey

ABuenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2009 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by terrym terrym wrote:

An official response would be nice :) as I am intrigued to know the future of XTP and whats coming.

We would have to renew in 30 days, but Codejock is way too intransparent about upcoming features and release dates.
They are asking for $319 without even giving a hint what you'll get for it. I also don't like that they give a new major version number to a bug fixing release (13.0). I really would like to see a grid and chart control, but why should I give $319 to them not even knowing if they will be added within the next month if I can also buy a WinForms chart control right now?

Codejock support
terrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2009 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by ABuenger ABuenger wrote:

Originally posted by terrym terrym wrote:

We would have to renew in 30 days, but Codejock is way too intransparent about upcoming features and release dates.
They are asking for $319 without even giving a hint what you'll get for it. I also don't like that they give a new major version number to a bug fixing release (13.0). I really would like to see a grid and chart control, but why should I give $319 to them not even knowing if they will be added within the next month if I can also buy a WinForms chart control right now?

Same here, we have to renew middle-ish of next month which is why we are wondering when the updates for Windows 7 themed ribbons etc. are coming.  And other important changes.  As with Windows 7 theme we need to get this testing ready for Windows 7 launch with our beta testers.

Thank you,
Terry Mancey

terrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 1:48pm

Anybody got any answers yet :( on as to when we can expect newer builds.  I dont mind paying yearly subscriptions, but I have not had a response as to any future updates as discussed in this thread.

Thank you,
Terry Mancey

ABuenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2009 at 1:05pm
It would be nice if Kirk could chime in and let us know why we should spent our money here and not elsewhere.

Codejock support
kstowell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kstowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2009 at 1:10pm
Our next major release is scheduled for middle of this summer. The reason we do not like to give too many details before a release is because the competition is tough in this market space, and we do not want to tip our hand too much. However we have many new features that will be incorporated including some of the requests you are asking for. I think the quality of our product speaks volumes for itself, you can go elsewhere, but you may not like what you find.

Economically it makes sense to keep your subscription active, rather then letting it expire because the cost is much less to renew a subscription compared to purchasing a new one to get new features. The decision is yours however the cost is very reasonable and we do work hard to incorporate many of your requests with each new release. Another thing to keep in mind is the cost not only covers new features, but support as well.

Hope this helps.

Kirk Stowell, President and CEO
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS<
terrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2009 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Support Support wrote:

Our next major release is scheduled for middle of this summer. The reason we do not like to give too many details before a release is because the competition is tough in this market space, and we do not want to tip our hand too much. However we have many new features that will be incorporated including some of the requests you are asking for. I think the quality of our product speaks volumes for itself, you can go elsewhere, but you may not like what you find.

Economically it makes sense to keep your subscription active, rather then letting it expire because the cost is much less to renew a subscription compared to purchasing a new one to get new features. The decision is yours however the cost is very reasonable and we do work hard to incorporate many of your requests with each new release. Another thing to keep in mind is the cost not only covers new features, but support as well.

Hope this helps.

To be honest we would never move away from Codejock and XTP as it has been very reliable for our products, and I see your point with competition.  Our renewal is due soon and like before we always extend our subscriptions as we like the new features that do appear.

A feature we would love to see in this summer release is Windows 7 style ribbons as this is very important for our applications moving forward ready for the launch of Windows 7 and also pin-able document menu items like in Office 2007.

Keep up the great work, and we hope you support MFC for many years to come, as we have no plans in moving to managed languages.

Thank you,
Terry Mancey

MikeVance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeVance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2009 at 1:08am
It made me happy to hear that nice improvements are coming in the summer of 2009. It is okay that that you need to keep your product strategy a secret, but dropping little supportive comments like what was said here, encourages everyone. We all like to know that CXTP is being developed continually. Sometimes I fear that -- like many other component developers -- Codejock may move only to pure DotNet components, so it always lifts my heart to hear about the aggressive development going on with CXTP.
Originally posted by Support Support wrote:

Our next major release is scheduled for middle of this summer. The reason we do not like to give
too many details before a release is because the competition is tough in this market space, and we do not want to tip our hand too much. However we have many new features that will be incorporated including some of the requests you are asking for.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic