Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Calendar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Multi-User with custom data provider

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multi-User with custom data provider
    Posted: 04 March 2009 at 3:02am
Hi,

We have the calendar working pretty well with Xbase++. Next step is to prepare it to use in a multi-user environment.

I was looking for an event that is fired with a fixed interval. However I didn't find anything.

This is what I thought : If there is an event which can be fired every xx seconds, I could use that event to see if there is a change in my database, and eventually update my calendar.

If there is no such event, I'm wondering how I can update the calendar on a workstation. I can check this in DoCreateEvent, DoUpdateEvent, DoDeleteEvent, ... but these are only fired when the user is doing something. I would prefer that I can update the calendar, even when the user just opened the calendar on his screen.

Is there any way to accomplish this? I suppose that everyone with a custom data provider could use this?

Regards,
Chris Andries

ABO Service
SuperMario View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 8:30am
Why not just use a timer control to update?
skiman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 5:48am

Yes, so obvious.

I have it working with automatic updating on all the stations on the network. :-)

Regards,
Chris.
ABO Service
mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2009 at 9:27pm

If you use modern db you can use db triggers on record update and do smth on your site without timer-based most-case senseless loop

Auge_Ohr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auge_Ohr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2009 at 4:01am
hi,
Originally posted by skiman skiman wrote:

I was looking for an event that is fired with a fixed interval. However I didn't find anything.

WHO shoud fire a Event ?

This is what I thought : If there is an event which can be fired every xx seconds, I could use that event to see if there is a change in my database, and eventually update my calendar.

That is a Database Problem, not a Calender Problem.

your Database have to send a Event to "tell" Workstation to update there Calender (Display)

Think about a Browse from your Database. It will not "refresh" (Display) automatic !

If there is no such event, I'm wondering how I can update the calendar on a workstation. I can check this in DoCreateEvent, DoUpdateEvent, DoDeleteEvent, ... but these are only fired when the user is doing something. I would prefer that I can update the calendar, even when the user just opened the calendar on his screen.

AFAIK, when a Workstation is doing "something" it will be "written" into your Database.

now it is your Parts "From Database" to ::notify() it and "inform" Client Application

in Client Application you can use Dataprovider:ChangeEvent Method so EventChangedEx() is fired.

Is there any way to accomplish this? I suppose that everyone with a custom data provider could use this?

It seem your Logic for DoXXXX does not match you Database so you have to enhance Xbase++
Database Logic to send "::notify()" to itīs Client Application.
greetings by OHR
Jimmy
mhuratdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhuratdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 8:24pm

Yes, so obvious.

I have it working with automatic updating on all the stations on the network. :-)

Regards,

Chris.

Hi
Can I ask you how are you updating the Calendar? I'm using a .Populate() and a .RedrawControl() with no result at all...

skiman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 10:17am
Hello,

I'm checking my database with a timer, and I'm using addevent and updateevent to add new events, or modify existing events.

In my database I have a timekey, so I can check which events are new or modified since I cheched it last time. My timer checks every 20 seconds.

I suppose the populate will only work with SQL or MDB database!

Regards,
Chris
ABO Service
mhuratdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhuratdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 10:24am
uh, ok. this would work..
I was trying to update the whole current day (and other days when the user changed views) but I had problems with the Recurrence Items.

Thanks for your comment!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic