Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Skin Framework
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skinning Ribbons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skinning Ribbons
    Posted: 09 January 2009 at 9:51am

We're looking into using Ribbons in our applications and found that we needed to use Skins so that all the dialog boxes have the same Office2007 theme.

This has now got us excited about using skins but I can't see any way of updating the look of the Ribbon from the Office2007 theme, to say iTunes or Vista.

Am I missing something in the examples?

I would greatly appreciate any help.
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2009 at 11:28am
Hi,
Ribbon can have only 4 standard skins :(
Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
JamesP View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2009 at 11:55am
That's sad to hear. I just had a conference and showed off the possibilities with skinning dialogs and non ribboned executables and everyone was really excited about making our own skins.
MikeVance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeVance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 2:16am
Originally posted by oleg oleg wrote:

This does not appear to be an accurate reply. When I analyze the Styles subdirectory of the Source code, it plainly shows four subdirectories, each containing one of the four included styles. Each of those subdirectories then include the PNG graphics and the requisite INI file containing the metrics info. LOGIC DEMANDS THAT ANYONE COULD CREATE THEIR OWN STYLE USING THE SAME METHOD. WHAT WOULD POSSIBLY PROHIBIT THIS? Perhaps nobody has done this yet due to inconvenience, but why insist it is impossible. Tell you what, I will go change some PNG in a quick manner and see if I can go create my own quick-and-cruddy looking style just to make my point. I can't believe it was stated that that this was impossible to do? Are you trying to chase away potential customers, is that it? Don't you realize that if product X is unable to have custom themse but product Y touts its ability to do so, then everybody must now leave to product Y? This answer irked me. I will try to append another response to this thread in about two weeks; be patient.
JamesP View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 11:34am
I look forward to hearing how you get on.
ABuenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by MikeVance MikeVance wrote:

Originally posted by oleg oleg wrote:

This does not appear to be an accurate reply. When I analyze the Styles subdirectory of the Source code, it plainly shows four subdirectories, each containing one of the four included styles. Each of those subdirectories then include the PNG graphics and the requisite INI file containing the metrics info. LOGIC DEMANDS THAT ANYONE COULD CREATE THEIR OWN STYLE USING THE SAME METHOD. WHAT WOULD POSSIBLY PROHIBIT THIS? Perhaps nobody has done this yet due to inconvenience, but why insist it is impossible. Tell you what, I will go change some PNG in a quick manner and see if I can go create my own quick-and-cruddy looking style just to make my point. I can't believe it was stated that that this was impossible to do? Are you trying to chase away potential customers, is that it? Don't you realize that if product X is unable to have custom themse but product Y touts its ability to do so, then everybody must now leave to product Y? This answer irked me. I will try to append another response to this thread in about two weeks; be patient.

Dude, calm down! Oleg just said that there are currently only those 4 themes. Of course everyone can create their own one.

Codejock support
MikeVance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeVance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 12:17am
Originally posted by ABuenger ABuenger wrote:

Dude, calm down! Oleg just said that there are currently only those 4 themes. Of course everyone can create their own one.

The initial response seemed to be in the negative, hence my counter-negativity. I spent a few minutes creating the ribbon theme DLL. Next week I will try to put a few more minutes getting the ribbon sample to show my "custom" (garbage-looking quickie) theme. Kind of pushed for time here. It's a piece of cake, which makes it all the more mysterious that nobody has ever posted their own custom ribbon theme).
ABuenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 8:35am
Originally posted by MikeVance MikeVance wrote:

The initial response seemed to be in the negative

Dude, obviously is English not Olegs first language, so no need to overreact here.

Codejock support
MikeVance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeVance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 12:00am
I am not coming down on Oleg. Potential CJ customers read these threads and this is an important issue. I do not want people getting the false impression that custom ribbon themes are impossible.
MikeVance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeVance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 1:09am
Okay, it's one month later and I finally put aside two hours for creating my own ribbon skin and modifying the demo to display it. It was a snap. I just copied one of the folders in the Source\Styles directory, then modified one of the PNGs and the INI file. Worked nicely. I am not a graphical artist and I only put literally about 30sec in modifying one PNG, so there is no image worthy of posting here. But it works. And it was easy. One day I would like to pay a professional skinning artist to do some work and then have their skins available for all Codejock users to download. That is still a couple years off. CXTP performance is second to none!
fundye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fundye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 9:42am
Go Go MikeVance i'm with you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic