Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Command Bars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Missing documentation on overall architecture

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Missing documentation on overall architecture
    Posted: 10 October 2008 at 8:29am
I have been struggling to use the CommandBar features.  I have been impressed by what I have seen of the code and the samples are impressive too.  My problem is that I can't work out how to do the things I need to do.  I am missing basic documentation about how to use the software.  I have a large existing project (MFC/Visual C++ 6) with loads of specific requirements.  I can't just copy one of the samples.  I need to have quite a good understanding of the CodeJock components so that I can use them.

In order to learn how to use the commandbars, I have done the following:

(a) looked at the samples
(b) read such as articles as I could find (v. few)
(c) looked at the online help
(d) read the source code and try and work out what it's doing...

None of these are very helpful.  The online help (c) is very low-level (parameters, members, methods), and minimalist in the extreme.  The description of what each class is used for is a brief sentence which often pretty much just repeats the class name (e.g. "CXPTCommandBar is a CWnd derived class.  It represents the parent class for command bars").  I have not found anywhere any kind of overall discussion of the architecture.  And yet that is what I need.  In order to make any serious use of these classes, you need to understand the architecture.  It clearly has an architecture.  These classes look well-designed.  But they're no good to me if I can't work out what they're for and what I'm supposed to do with them.

I found a total of 10 articles (all written seemingly in 2004) addressing specific detailed issues to do with the MFC/C++ in relation to command bars.  No general architecture discussions.

Am I missing something?  Is this information available somewhere?  If so, where?  I noticed that there is a download for Visual Studio .NET Online Help whichi s 21Mb.  I haven't installed it because I don't use Visual Studio .NET.  Does that contain the missing documentation?  If so, how can I access it with Visual C++ 6?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic