Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Controls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - MISSING: TabControl MouseDown, KeyDown/KUp Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MISSING: TabControl MouseDown, KeyDown/KUp Events

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MISSING: TabControl MouseDown, KeyDown/KUp Events
    Posted: 18 July 2008 at 12:12am
Control has MouseMove and MouseUp, but not MouseDown. Has neither KeyUp or KeyDown events.

I would like to be able to determine if the user has switched tabs via keyboard or mouse so that I can choose whether to automatically focus a child control (mouse interaction) or not (keyboard interaction). These events would allow me to accomplish this.

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 16.2.6
Platform: Windows XP - SP3

Language: Visual Basic 6.0 SP6

jpbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2008 at 12:35am
I've found a work-around to accomplish the above goal (in case anyone else has a similar requirement).

In a module place this code:

Private Declare Function GetKeyState Lib "user32" (ByVal nVirtKey As Long) As Integer

Private Const KEY_MASK As Integer = &HFF80

Public Function IsKeyDown(KeyCode As Long) As Boolean
    IsKeyDown = GetKeyState(KeyCode) And KEY_MASK
End Function

Then, on your form with the TabControl:

Private Sub TabControl1_BeforeItemClick(ByVal Item As XtremeSuiteControls.ITabControlItem, Cancel As Variant)
   If Not (IsKeyDown(vbKeyLeft) Or IsKeyDown(vbKeyRight)) Then
      SOMEOTHERCONTROL.SetFocus
   End If
End Sub

Essentially, we are checking to see if either of the cursor keys are being pressed when the TabControl is about to change the selected tab. If so, then the focus will remain on the TabControl (so the user can continue navigating the tabs with the keyboard). If not, we'll assume that the user clicked a tab with the mouse, and then move the focus to some other control where they presumably want to start typing directly.

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 16.2.6
Platform: Windows XP - SP3

Language: Visual Basic 6.0 SP6

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic