Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Toolkit Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SaveCommandBars creates hidden file?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ark42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SaveCommandBars creates hidden file?
    Posted: 05 September 2004 at 6:23pm

Why does sometimes SaveCommandBars(_T("CommandBars")); creates a hidden file called like MyApp.exe-CommandBars
It also saves to the registry at the same time just fine, so I don't see why it needs this file also?

Sven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2004 at 1:59am

There are some restrictions for the registry (taken from MSDN):

Windows 95/98/Me: The maximum size of a single registry value is 16,300 bytes. This limit includes the size of the data (cbData) and the size of the value name (lpValueName).

Windows 95/98/Me: There is a 64K limit for the total size of all values of a key.

So if your toolbar customization exceeds the limit the customization would not be stored. There is also a bug in NT4/2000 RegEdit, a value greater than 64K can't be exported/imported with RegEdit. So CodeJock decided to save the customization into a file if the size is larger than 16k (see CXTPCommandBars::SaveBarState).

Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2004 at 2:04am

Right.

Also you can set the file name to be stored:

CXTPCommandBars::SetCustomizationDataFileName

You can check CustomThemes sample (from Toolkit Pro 9.10)

there is code how to store customize information to

\Documents and Settings\use\Local Settings\   folder

Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
cpede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2004 at 3:17am

Just a comment.

It is properly also a good idea NOT to save the file into the installation folder like "c:\program files\my program" etc, because you run into problems when running as Restricted User under Windows XP.

- cpede

Ark42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ark42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2004 at 11:23pm
Would it not be possible to chunk the data into 16000 byte pieces and store each piece under a different key?

Ark42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ark42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2004 at 12:20am
Well here is some sample code.  I see no point to saving to a hidden file if this works without issue on Win9x:

Everything in XTPDockState.cpp:

add up near the top:
AFX_STATIC_DATA const TCHAR _afxCommandBarSplit[] = _T("Split");

In CXTPCommandBars::SaveBarState:
remove everything from CString strFileName; to the else and add this before the else instead:
            if (dwCount > 16000)
            {
                int iNumChunks = dwCount / 16000;
                DWORD dwLastSize = dwCount % 16000;
                TCHAR buf[256];

AfxGetApp()->WriteProfileBinary(szSec tion, _afxCommandBarControls, pControls, 16000);
                AfxGetApp()->WriteProfileInt(szSectio n, _afxCommandBarLoadFromFile, FALSE);
                AfxGetApp()->WriteProfileInt(szSectio n, _afxCommandBarSplit, iNumChunks);
                for (int i = 1; i < iNumChunks; i++)
                {
                    wsprintf(buf, "%s\\%d", szSection, i);
                    AfxGetApp()->WriteProfileBinary(buf, _afxCommandBarContr ols, pControls + (i * 16000), 16000);
                }
                wsprintf(buf, "%s\\%d", szSection, iNumChunks);
                AfxGetApp()->WriteProfileBinary(buf, _afxCommandBarControls, pControls + (iNumChunks * 16000), dwLastSize);

also add:
AfxGetApp()->WriteProfileInt(szSection, _afxCommandBarSplit, 0);
after the two lines in the else block

then in CXTPCommandBars::LoadBarState:
add all of this:
        } else if (AfxGetApp()->GetProfileInt(szSection, _afxCommandBarSplit, 0))
        {
            int iNumChunks = AfxGetApp()->GetProfileInt(szSection, _afxCommandBarSplit, 0);
            TCHAR buf[256];
            BYTE* pControls = NULL;
            BYTE* pTmp = NULL;
            UINT dwCount = 0;
            UINT dwTmp = 0;

wsprintf(buf, "%s\\%d", szSection, iNumChunks);
            if (AfxGetApp()->GetProfileBinary(buf, _afxCommandBarControls, &pTmp, &dwTmp))
            {
                dwCount = dwTmp + (iNumChunks * 16000);
                pControls = new BYTE[dwCount];
                memcpy(pControls + (iNumChunks * 16000), pTmp, dwTmp);
                delete [] pTmp;

BOOL bOk = TRUE;
                for (int i = 1; i < iNumChunks; i++)
                {
                    wsprintf(buf, "%s\\%d", szSection, i);
                    if (!AfxGetApp()->GetProfileBinary(buf, _afxCommandBarControls, &pTmp, &dwTmp) )
                    {
                        bOk = FALSE;
                        break;
                    }
                    if( dwTmp != 16000 ) {
                        delete [] pTmp;
                        bOk = FALSE;
                        break;
                    }
                    memcpy(pControls + (i * 16000), pTmp, 16000);
                    delete [] pTmp;
                }
                if (!AfxGetApp()->GetProfileBinary(szSection, _afxCommandBa rControls, &pTmp, &dwTmp) )
                {
                    bOk = FALSE;
                } else if( dwTmp != 16000 )
                {
                    delete [] pTmp;
                    bOk = FALSE;
                } else
                {
                    memcpy(pControls, pTmp, 16000);
                    delete [] pTmp;
                }

if (bOk)
                {
                    CMemFile memFile(pControls, dwCount);

_LoadControlsPart(memFile, bSilent);

memFile.Close();
                }
                delete [] pControls;
            }
right before the else block.

This will cause the info to be split into 16000 byte chunks, the first which is in the normal location, and the rest which are in subkeys numbered 1 to whatever the 'Split' value specifies.
Each chunk is in its own key with the value 'Controls' still.

Edited by Ark42
Sven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2004 at 3:10am

MS doesn not recommend to store large values in registry. See remarks for RegSetValueEx in MSDN:

Value sizes are limited by available memory. Long values (more than 2048 bytes) should be stored as files with the file names stored in the registry. This helps the registry perform efficiently. Application elements such as icons, bitmaps, and executable files should be stored as files and not be placed in the registry.

Ark42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ark42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2004 at 10:44am

They may recommend that, but its not storing bitmaps or executables, just the position and text of the commands for the toolbars.  I don't see that its ever going to take up a large amount of space. Mine take up 18-19K it seems.  I hardly see that as a problem if it needs 2 regkeys because of a 16K limit.  Maybe the problem is the command bar information is not stored efficiently? Could it be changed to take up less space?  Why not at least make it an option to split the info in the registry?  I definately don't want hidden files, in the program files or the local settings directory.  I think I might be tempted to remove the option for the user to customize the toolbars if this would happen.  Does anybody really have toolbar files that take up something near 500K or something that would really make it inefficient?
Sven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2004 at 2:40pm

I had command bar streams with more than 160k base size, this produced the errors in W2k/W9x. If you change the icon of a command the customized icon is also be stored in this stream.

Imho there are some information which does not have to be stored in the stream (m_strTooltipText, m_strDescriptionText) because they can easily retrieved. But ist seems to be impossible to change the format because of the downward compatibility.

I slightly changed the command bar serialization in my apps, the stream is always stored into a file in the <Application Data\Company Name\Product Name> folder (only NT based systems). In W9x systems I use the folder where the application is installed. Further I added a menu command to export the settings (registry, bar state) into a selected folder.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic