Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Calendar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No tooltip for single/multiday event

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwfearnley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No tooltip for single/multiday event
    Posted: 02 May 2008 at 7:40am

If you use typically sized strings for event subjects, it essential that the use can view these via a tooltip for events represented by smaller blocks. However the calendar control does not show these (in day view) for any events that are one day or longer. These single/multiday events are put into the top section of the view and are usually relatively small blocks, so it seems even more important the subject can be viewed in a tooltip. They do show up in the week and monthly views, so this seems inconsistent. It also inconstant with the Outlook day view.

The following code appears in CXTPCalendarViewEvent::OnMouseMove ....

else if (hitInfo.uHitCode & xtpCalendarHitTestEventTextArea)

{

bHideTooltip = !!(nFlags & MK_LBUTTON);

BOOL bShow = !IsMultidayEvent() || XTP_SAFE_GET2(pView, GetResources(), GetCount(), 0) > 1;

if (bShow && bIsNoDragging && !IsEditingSubject() && !pView->IsEditingSubject() &&

!IsShowingToolTip() && !(nFlags&MK_LBUTTON) && m_bTextOutOfBorders)

{

if (m_nTimerID_ShowToolTip == 0)

{

UINT uTimeOut_ms = GetShowToolTipTimeOut();

m_nTimerID_ShowToolTip = SetTimer(uTimeOut_ms);

ASSERT(m_nTimerID_ShowToolTip);

DBG_TRACE_TIMER(......);

}

}

}

The highlighted line stops the tooltip from appearing on any single/multiday event. I do not know what this test is trying to achieve, but it looks suspiciously like a bug to me.

Thanks for your help

sserge View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sserge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 5:28pm
Hi,

As for consistency -- I suppose the opposite. As far as I can see, Outlook doesn't show tooltips for multiday events. Actually that's the only reason of having this test there.

Of course, it's up to you to remove it there at all and rebuild the library. That's why you do have a full source code .

However, if you think that the behavior there should be different -- please let me know why and what is correct. We may fix this for future releases.

--
WBR,
Serge
rwfearnley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwfearnley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2008 at 11:26am
You are not correct - Outlook 2007 always shows a tooltip for multiday events - so it's your code that is inconsistent. As I said, it's vital that it does this when the text does not fit so you can see the whole subject.

We have already made the source patch you suggest to work around the problem, but it wouldbe much easier if you corrected the library. Sorry, but I still contend this is obvious bug as I cannot see any justication for not showing the tooltip.

Thanks
AndreiM View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndreiM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2008 at 2:44pm
You right,
but I think this logic was created to repeat Outlook 2003 behavior.
We will fix this.
Marco1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 7:56pm
Unfortunately this still isn't fixed. Tooltips for AllDayEvents are not displayed.
At least a configuration option would have been nice...

mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2009 at 6:56pm
It is fixed in 13.1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic