Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - POLL: Post code snippets / don't forget to reply
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

POLL: Post code snippets / don't forget to reply

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: POLL: Post code snippets / don't forget to reply
    Posted: 18 April 2008 at 10:30am

Hi,

It would be nice if we could post code snippets, just enough to explain how a certain property / method of a control works. I see there are lots of members asking the same question(s) about the same control. Most members want quick answers and search rather in examples than in posts.

Thank you.
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.0.2
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2
Language: Visual Basic 6.0

Zero replies is not an option....
JKDev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKDev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2008 at 12:58pm
Hmm.. I was going to request CJ setup up a wiki for just this of of thing. We could post snippets and and documentation where it is lacking in the help systems...
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2008 at 2:05am
Hi,

I think "updating" the documentation is not up to us. There is only one responsable for this and that is CodeJock. But it would help them which of the properties/methods aren't well documented. The code snippets I talked about would be short, just a few lines to explain what to do.

Just like

How to create a pane:

Dim paneExample as Pane
Set paneExample = DockingPanes.CreatePane(ID_PANE, 100, 100, DockRightOf, Nothing)
      paneExample .Title = "Caption of pane"

and maybe some explanation of the code and version

How to add a toolbar to CommandBars:

Dim toolBar As CommandBar
Set toolBar = CommandBars.Add("Tools" , xtpBarTop)
      toolBar.EnableDocking xtpFlagAlignAny

and maybe some explanation of the code and version

Eventually new members will get the picture and will explore the options themselves. We could have different levels for posting code snippets: beginner, intermediate and advanced. I would say: Let's do it
younicke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote younicke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2008 at 2:28am
since you have suggested that we post some code snippets in here, is it also possible for codejock to put some code tags on the forum so that the codes will be more readable? just a thought
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2008 at 3:10am
Hi,

I prefer that CodeJock would create a SubForum for us and we would post the code snippets. Thats the whole idea. If they will supervise this, it won't be a such mess after a while.

If you would post a code snippet, and it would contain wrong code, I can not delete it... So we get stuck with a (bad) code snippet in our precious Hall of Code Snippets . CodeJock support team will be able to delete the item if they don't agree or adjust the code as it needs to be.

And if CodeJock doesn't, we have to do it ourselves...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic